3w tesco torch aa rechargeable battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't tell you if they fit.....the only ones I have that fit are 'Traveller' 1800mh out of a cheapo camera we bought from Aldi.

jimboalee

There's another thread that covers this subject.

My Uniross didn't fit.
The solution was to machine the inside diameter. Or if you haven't an expanding reamer, you could stand for about an hour with a rat's tail file.

Mr Phoebus

A few people have had instant success taking the protective outer covering off the batteries and not needing any other mods.

Rejoice! :smile:

Open up the bottom of the torch.
  • Remove batteries.
  • Look for the white sticker just inside the torch body.
  • Scrape this off.
  • Your torch will now take Maplins 2500 mh AAs (although you will have to also unscrew the head and LED unit to poke them through when they're spent).

Yay! :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The unirosses are different sizes, I've owned 2100 unirosses and 2700s before they went weird and I've got hybrios now. They are all slightly different sizes as they fit with varying difficultly (or not) into different compartments. I'd avoid anyway, the current generation of rechargables are much better than the old unirosses, MUCH better.

jimboalee

For anyone thinking of buying a Tesco torch. Select the slimmest AA rechargables you have and take them with you when you go to Tesco. Try them for size and buy the torch which is the largest tube.

Peeling the cover off a NiMh cell causes the case ( which is the negative terminal ) to be exposed. It hits the spring which presses the PCB assembly against the front lens. The circuit is made and the torch lights up on the power of the front battery only.
It looks to me like you HAVE TO widen the tube.

Mr Celine

Discordian
jimboalee said:
It looks to me like you HAVE TO widen the tube.

+1

Mine is now running on Maplin 2500s but this took about an hour of fettling with a round file and some sandpaper. The inside bore of the torch was neither round nor a constant diameter. At least it's now lighter - in weight if not lumens:biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
Dare I ask why anyone wants to bother to buy a torch that doesn't take standard size batteries?

Dannyg said:
Dare I ask why anyone wants to bother to buy a torch that doesn't take standard size batteries?
Because it's a bloody good torch, for not much money and they hardly advertise the tightness of the case. It takes non-rechargable AAs just fine.

IT ALSO TAKES NON-STANDARD RECHARGEABLE AAs JUST FINE IF YOU'RE PATIENT!

Top Bottom