4 attempts on my life this week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
As to the third, if you hang back, the following car will come up alongside you recreating the original position. How do you then indicate that you are going to maintain your position in the lane?

While the following car is still behind give a "stay back" indication ie tell other road users what you are doing don't just assume they will follow the rules.

May I point you at the Campaigning sub-forum? You may just have explained to me why so many people don't want lanes.

I prefer to be in traffic than cycle lanes. You're often put in a position of greater risk if you stay in them as well as putting you on terrible quality tarmac - especially for someone on a racer. They also give you artificial security, you're protected in them right? Skiing is one place risk homeostasis is becoming a real issue, avalanche beacons aren't effective at all, but skiiers are happier to ski avalanche risk routes. The safety equipment actually puts people at greater risk. I would wager that the same can be true of a lot of the ill thought out cycle routes throughout the country.

martint235

Dog on a bike
While the following car is still behind give a "stay back" indication ie tell other road users what you are doing don't just assume they will follow the rules.

Sorry but in London, motorists have difficulty understanding the basic left/right indications. Waving at them to stay back will certainly confuse them!

I also commute Kirkstall Road, and i’m regularly amazed at how fast people cycle, with the junctions and road works, perhaps 20mph is a bit much. In the morning with the road nearly empty, i could be going 20mph, but not in that traffic.What annoys me is the car driving with 1 wheel just in the cycle lane, giving me even less space. I much prefer doing that ride at the end of rush hour, rather than during (start work 10:00 leave 18:00) so the traffic is a bit less

@OP

Death Attempt 1 - I'd have probably been expecting that car to come out/let it out, the van was stopping in front of you to let them out?
Murder Attempt 2 - Car at fault
Assassination Attempt 3 - Looks like you were in his blind spot but poor show on his part

----------------------

In general this isnt the worst road compared to some I see, there can be some silly cycling and silly driving on the road. Mostly not signalling/checking before maneuvering.

At busy times I find this road safer than quieter, the traffic is mostly backed up and by lowering your speed a little at the areas with lots of side roads its mostly ok. Its not perfect ATM thanks to the extensive road works but then again where is?

PS No one here is the chap that fell off in front of me tonight? (in a bus stop no less!), he said he was ok and seemed more embarrassed really. If you are here what about the wally cycling the wrong way between us and the cars travelling the right way - I told him to 'Wake up Dopey!'

Xiorell

Über Member
I think there was something in the air this morning, saw some of the most inconsiderate driving yet since getting my bike.

Travelling down one road, in primary, cars parked to my right (always is) on the oncoming side of the road. I'm half way down, some twat decides it doesn't matter and proceeds to aim straight for me. I wasn't in the mood for peanuts and decided not to move, forcing him to pull over as he should have anyway.

Pinch point one - van driver barges through even though it's my Right Of Way and I'm already moving through.

Pinch 2 - same as above but 2 cars instead

RAB near work - tosser in an estate overtaking then cutting me up with a left hook.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
RAB near work - tosser in an estate overtaking then cutting me up with a left hook.

Yeah I had almost the same happen to me yesterday, only I was also turning left. Suddenly after swinging suddenly left with no indication, the car stopped in front of me with no warning at all. As I went by avoiding it by inches, I saw the zombie that was driving the snot bucket concerned was texting!

Today I held a cager up by, umm,let's see, about 2 seconds - for turning right and the dick couldn't get past. The usual impotent beep from said muppet. I said 'next time, just run me over and save yourself another 2 seconds'. not sure if the piece of sh*t heard. I'd popped out for a pint of milk- a journey of less than 800 yards round trip. Last month, I cycled about 200 miles in Holland with no problems with drivers whatsoever. Here - just 800 yards before hassle of some caged lard arse. What is wrong with people in this miserable fecking country?

Xiorell

Über Member
Here - just 800 yards before hassle of some caged lard arse. What is wrong with people in this miserable fecking country?

My first one yesterday was a similar distance from home too.

Last night (not dangerous driving but I found this odd), I'd taken the MTB over the off-road route to my GFs house which eventually joins back to the road for the last leg. Check left (I'm turining left), clear, check right - car oncoming but was waaaaaaaaaay back down the road, which is a 30mph through a village, loads and loads of room, quick left check again before pulling out.... then a good 30 seconds later the car that had been approaching to my right finally caught up to overtake, BEEEEEEEEEP!!!

What? I pulled out more than safely, shed loads of distance before he was near me, I was in secondary for traffic to pass, the oncoming lane was clear with a very long view ahead, what's the problem??

abo

Just idiots who have no clue about closing speed etc. The other day I came up behind a MX-5 doing 40, country lane. Stayed behind it when it was twisty, I knew the road and there was a good overtaking spot coming up which I know well; good long straight bit of road, excellent visibility, no farm entrances, side roads etc. just the perfect place for overtaking. We rounded the bend onto the straight, absolutely nothing coming the other way so I overtook, I didn't break the speed limit, it wasn't a rushed desperate overtake or anything, but I got beeped at when I drew alongside, and flashed up when I pulled back in.

Dunno *what* her problem was :angry:

blockend

It is not an issue of rules, or "right" or "priority" it's an issue of anticipating hazards - in both of the first two the hazard was flagged by the vehicle to the right giving way to the joining car.

That would be my reading of it.

It is not an issue of rules, or "right" or "priority" it's an issue of anticipating hazards - in both of the first two the hazard was flagged by the vehicle to the right giving way to the joining car.

For the third, i'd have hung back behind the car with the potential for left hooking me and made sure that i signalled my intentions to the following car.

That would be my reading of it.

The letting out of traffic is a common occurance on that stretch of Kirkstall Road, it is something to bear in mind especially if you are wanting to cycle quite quickly (which on this road, at that time isnt always a good idea :blush:)

bryce

Think it's eminently possible to anticipate all of these three things happening and none of them are attempts to 'take your life' - they're just stupid, dozy drivers who've made mistakes. Pretty bad luck to have four in a week but good that you had the helmetcam and airzound just in case.

Top Bottom