4 billion pounds!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just heard in the news that the government is going to spend 4 billion pounds on the House of Parliament! Strange how they find the money when it is for themselves. Bunch of hypocrites , that's what politicians are and it will never change I'm afraid.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It's a phenomenal amount of money, but as rocky says they've got to meet somewhere, and Westminster is a building of incredible beauty, would you rather just let it fall down?

Edit, it's not for themselves, it's a building of national, probably international, importance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am not contesting the fact that it needs some serious work done on it , but just the fact that MPs always find the money for things that concerns them, like fat pay rises and expenses and so on. When it comes to the rest of us, their usual answer is:" We can't afford it ". Like I said; a bunch of hypocrites.

screenman

Legendary Member
Maybe a better discussion would be the £12,000,000 flood expenditure, it cost that to put a tatty foot bridge over the railway in Lincoln.

TVC

There was a short series about the workings of the Palace of Westminster last year. The place really is in a terrible state and totally unsuitable for the needs of modern communication and business practices. This predicament is due in part to successive Governments not spending the required funds at the time for fear of a public outcry about them lavishing money on themselves - in each cycle of neglect of course the problem just grows.

So spend the money and totally refurbish the place, or build a new Parliament suitable for the next 200 years and sell the building to a hotel chain. Either way it is going to be expensive.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It's not for "them" its a national monument that they just happen to work in.

Its not going in their pocket.
And there are legal obligations for people who own and care for listed buildings, they have a duty to maintain them.
It would cost billions just to keep it as a museum as the structural needs urgent work.

The very important Vikings met in longhouses. Good enough for them, good enough for our lot.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhYM9uI6b6qkN6KQJM7Z1idxVznJ-BUpUx0AU486sBjsiEyw3x.jpg

Put them all in a barn I say.

doog

I agree with the sentiment about Parliament and all that but 4 billion pounds sounds an awful lot of money to spend...is the Thames leaking in or something ?,

I hope they put the bloody job out to tender...

Top Bottom