4 speed Superlight Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
P series Sprockets: 11-13-15-18 Tooth

Rear Wheel:

Superlight 4 speed rear wheel - Lightweight rim,

double-butted spokes and aluminium hub body with sealed bearings,

newly developed 4 speed freehub body and hex key axle

258708582_2112675298886786_6484798094598477241_n.jpg

257581209_4431661476951270_6283425765570673822_n.jpg

Attachments

• 800x800_white_-_h4l_mmbk_rtibk_fcb_bat3_sp6_sl_tyob_pl_t_5 (1).jpg
    800x800_white_-_h4l_mmbk_rtibk_fcb_bat3_sp6_sl_tyob_pl_t_5 (1).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This super tit still isn’t exactly light at 10 kg except compared with standard.
Bit of an eye watering price.

Kell

Veteran
The big question (for me) is: Is it (going to be) possible to combine these four gears with any of the hub gears to get 12?

Last edited:

l4dva

Guru
Exciting - but yes expensive. I've been eyeing up a superlight since lockdown started but haven't pulled the trigger. Prices creep up and up, 1.5 years ago they where about £200/300 cheaper (slightly different specs now as they have changed a fair bit with P line).

I still want one, its just getting harder to take the plunge with price increase and drop to 4 speed, I feel like I need the 6 speed for the big hill I have on my commute. I'll have to try figure out if the new gearing option will work and convince myself its a good investment

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Looks good in theory but the gear range is a bit limited, and with the new style rear triangle, it doesn't have the extra bits needed welded on if you wanted to convert it to 6 speed, and means all these new parts are not backwards compatible. Wonder if superlights will now only be available as a 4 speed? Pretty limited if so, we have proper hills outside of London! I already have a superlight S6L (well, 2 actually) that are modified to weigh less than one of these thanks to the folks at Bikegang and SJS!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Looks good in theory but the gear range is a bit limited, and with the new style rear triangle, it doesn't have the extra bits needed welded on if you wanted to convert it to 6 speed, and means all these new parts are not backwards compatible. Wonder if superlights will now only be available as a 4 speed? Pretty limited if so, we have proper hills outside of London! I already have a superlight S6L (well, 2 actually) that are modified to weigh less than one of these thanks to the folks at Bikegang and SJS!
Ah! but have you swapped out the handlebar clamp Allen bolt for a Titanium one? I saved a massive 3 grammes when I swapped mine 😉( for aesthetic reasons. The bolts are always silver whatever the colour scheme, and I wanted a black bolt to match the stem / handlebars )

CaptainWheezy

Über Member
Ah! but have you swapped out the handlebar clamp Allen bolt for a Titanium one? I saved a massive 3 grammes when I swapped mine 😉( for aesthetic reasons. The bolts are always silver whatever the colour scheme, and I wanted a black bolt to match the stem / handlebars )

Haha, yes, i've done that, plus many more including all the nuts & bolts in the brake calipers.

tinywheels

Über Member
a triumph of marketing over common sense.
you pays your money etc,etc ad infinitum

Biker man

Rear Wheel:

View attachment 618215
Is

Rear Wheel:

View attachment 618215
Is that the new P model it's £2100 that's a hefty price.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Since Minimods / bikegang were offering a 4 speed conversion in 2017, I'm pretty underwhelmed.
See also - buy Brompton + Sparticle or Nano kit for lots less than E-Brompton.
The big question (for me) is: Is it (going to be) possible to combine these four gears with any of the hub gears to get 12?
I doubt you'd get 4 sprockets on the BWR. 3 can be done - bikegang do that, or I think taking a 10 / 11 speed cassette to bits to get three sprockets and two spacers should do the trick. Then modify the shift lever or use a friction shifter.

Top Bottom