40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ianrauk said:
lol indeed, 'er indoors refers to our conservatory as looking like 'a branch of Halfords'.. Halfords I ask you?

It's not my fault I think the conservatory is a better home for my bikes (and Auntie Helen's hubby's Trike), then the bloody garden shed is it..

I can't even look at a picture of a bike these days without her saying (with THAT look), "Your next bike is it?"

Get upstairs and do some ironing woman, I tells her.....

:blush::smile:

I have to say I am lucky. When looking for a new house, she agreed that having a garage would be an advantage for me and my bikes! :smile:

Mrs Magnatom's requirement was a garden, and a husband willing to do all the heavy work in it! :tongue::biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
I move in Mar and have established that my new commute will be 12 miles each direction with a couple of cheeky hills. I have become quite used to doing my commute in the evening only and taking the train in the morning. It will certainly waken me up.

trio25

Über Member
patheticshark said:
Yeah, the route I'm going for goes basically along the train line so I'm covered for that. Though it's not something I want to get in the habit of, and ridiculously the cost of a ticket at the station I'd start from is the same price as the cost of a ticket 20 miles into the journey.

Thanks for the good luck. I might start a blog.

Definetly blog, will help you do the commute on fridays when you think people will be asking why you are not riding!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Just to add my support patheticshark, that's am awesome commute.

And, I feel your pain that people just can't seem to understand your commuting plans, despite just how many times they've been clearly explained ;)

Anyway, I've bookmarked your blog and will be following with interest :laugh:

Good luck :thumbsup:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Good luck! I feel for you, that's going to be a tough one, but I'm sure you'll succeed. I have a 43mile round trip, combined with skating as a job.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Thanks all.

If I have do to 40 miles with a headwind like the one I just rode in with on a regular basis I am NOT going to be impressed.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
patheticshark said:
Thanks all.

If I have do to 40 miles with a headwind like the one I just rode in with on a regular basis I am NOT going to be impressed.

Yep - just 10 miles into a ferocious headwind is enough to almost finish me off, never mind 40! Mind you, doing that singlespeed you'll end up with thighs like the cycling character in Belleville Rendezvous!!

Good luck though - you're one tough, brave cookie!

Plax

Guru
Good luck patheticshark, It gives me a warm glow to know there are other ladies out there as crazy as me (not that I commute 40 miles mind........).

lady_rider

Plax said:
Good luck patheticshark, It gives me a warm glow to know there are other ladies out there as crazy as me (not that I commute 40 miles mind........).

+1

I don't commute 40 miles either, but I can totally empathise with you having a good go at it, I'd be tempted by the whole train/money argument too. As long as you don't plan on a gym session in the evening as well... (that'd be way too hardcore for me)

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

lady_rider said:
+1

I don't commute 40 miles either, but I can totally empathise with you having a good go at it, I'd be tempted by the whole train/money argument too. As long as you don't plan on a gym session in the evening as well... (that'd be way too hardcore for me)

Ha! No chance. I'll probably have to go to bed at about 8pm for the first three months.

Thanks for all the blog interest everyone, I am giddy with views and comments. I shall have a play with it later and add more links to blogs and stuff.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
fossyant said:
Fixed are best for headwinds I find....good luck.

Errr. No.

<----- look this way. Any time I'm doing a bit of silly commuter racing then I pray for headwinds because they'll blow even the strongest riders off my wheel.

Top Bottom