40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 666 said:
I take it recumbents are easier to hold a (fast) speed then?

Why is that?

Low position?

Aerodynamics - big headwind and flat roads maximise the recumbent advantage. OTOH with a tailwind and uphill it can get embarassing.

weevil

BentMikey said:
OTOH with a tailwind and uphill it can get embarassing.

Why? Because you whip out one of these...

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmZRoK7CRw&feature=PlayList&p=D9D44CD6C19E0683&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

ooh, hello.

I start on Monday 7th. Doing another recce tomorrow (leaving at 6am).

I've accidentally bought a carbon road bike so I will now be doing it geared sometimes. I have also bought those Sidi Diablos I mentioned and I now can't afford any christmas presents for anyone. But still, at least I will be able to go well fast and have dry feet. Hurrah!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I likes yer style....;)

patheticshark said:
ooh, hello.

I start on Monday 7th. Doing another recce tomorrow (leaving at 6am).

I've accidentally bought a carbon road bike so I will now be doing it geared sometimes. I have also bought those Sidi Diablos I mentioned and I now can't afford any christmas presents for anyone. But still, at least I will be able to go well fast and have dry feet. Hurrah!

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Just to clarify (as reading back it does make me look like a fixiehipsterskidder with only one bike and no brain), I did have a road bike already; I just mean the novelty of the new one means I'll definitely be riding it to work sometimes (particularly as I'll be too knackered to do any weekend riding for a while)...

Also I'll have a 49cm Pinarello Monviso for sale shortly if anyone's interested ;)

lukesdad

Hi patheticshark. Sorry only just noticed thr thread. For the last 6 years Ive commuted 82 miles round trip 4 days a week.
One way I consume 1.5 litres fuel raisins and a gel and I eat b/fast as soon as I get to work. Average 2hrs 20 mins(quite hilly the bugger is the wind that has made me late on acouple of occassions.) The more you do it the more normal it seems.

I also vary the pace to fit in with my training plan sprints climbs etc. Good fun.

One way i find to make it interesting is to have checkpoint times a long the route.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

lukesdad said:
Hi patheticshark. Sorry only just noticed thr thread. For the last 6 years Ive commuted 82 miles round trip 4 days a week.
One way I consume 1.5 litres fuel raisins and a gel and I eat b/fast as soon as I get to work. Average 2hrs 20 mins(quite hilly the bugger is the wind that has made me late on acouple of occassions.) The more you do it the more normal it seems.

I also vary the pace to fit in with my training plan sprints climbs etc. Good fun.

One way i find to make it interesting is to have checkpoint times a long the route.

That is amazing! I'll be astonished if I get to the point where I can ride there and back one or two days a week, let alone four. I am very impressed.

I'm getting a bit worried about the wind. Not the easiest time of the year to start this. Although hopefully by spring/summer it'll be a breeze (and not a headwind*).

*sorry

lukesdad

The last couple of weeks have been pretty bad on the inward journey. The important part in my opion in doing this is what you do off the bike you have to be pretty diciplined but its like anything its what you get used to.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
lukesdad said:
The last couple of weeks have been pretty bad on the inward journey. The important part in my opion in doing this is what you do off the bike you have to be pretty diciplined but its like anything its what you get used to.

So, are you travelling light and using one car/train journey per week to transport the gear? Or do you take kit with you daily?

lukesdad

Lucky old me I only work Monday to thurs.Monday mornings I take in A rucksack 60 litre bring it home thursday night all the other trips are with a light back pack.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
lukesdad said:
Lucky old me I only work Monday to thurs.Monday mornings I take in A rucksack 60 litre bring it home thursday night all the other trips are with a light back pack.

hats off to you sir, I found the backpack just unworkable and I was only doing half your distance. Panniers can be a pain but I only really notice the weight when accelerating or on a stiff climb. As my commute had very little in the way of stop/start stuff, or tough hills, they weren't a problem. 2hrs 20 is a pretty good average as well, can't imagine you get to do much coasting at those times.

Top Bottom