40 mile commute...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Used to commute from Bordon to Basingstoke and Petersfield To Aldershot MacB dont envy your commute.Has the relief road made any difference to the farnborough road.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ah bordon, REME by any chance? lukesdad, what clothing have you found to do the job whilst being on the bike for so long so regular? do you have 2 sets of clothes? one for the in ride and one for the return?

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Wow, today's practice run was floody. And rainy. And windy.

Quite fast though, for me... 38 miles (to the station rather than my office) in 1 hour 51; 19.1mph average. Not that I'm expecting to be able to do it in that kind of time by mid-week once I'm doing it for real...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
lukesdad said:
Used to commute from Bordon to Basingstoke and Petersfield To Aldershot MacB dont envy your commute.Has the relief road made any difference to the farnborough road.

My commute is across country to Maidenhead so I avoid the Farnborough Road, but my limited use of it for other things has been ok. I actually seem to avoid most main roads altogether, it adds two miles but is worth it. My shortest route would be straight up to Bracknell past the Meadows etc. IMO, Bracknell is to be avoided.

Basingstoke I quite like the ride from here, I can get there almost totally off main roads(I'm on the Farnborough/Fleet borders), some very nice riding. Though I accept that once you hit Basingstoke itself the ring road etc is 'fun'.

Maybe it's a perception thing, I found London daunting whereas a lot of London riders don't like the speed/distance cars go past at on the country roads. I'm sure if I rode somewhere quieter for a while I'd start to think this area was hideous:biggrin:

levad

Veteran
Cars? What are they, I might see 4 or 5 in my first mile of riding and then none for the remaining 12 miles :laugh: Coming home I might see 10 or 12 cars.

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

Isn't it nice when your new workplace like the idea of your commute so much they decide to do their own version?

I haven't said explicitly anywhere where I'm going to work, but it's for a national cycling charity based in Guildford (which narrows it down just a little!) and Patrick from Bike Club (www.bikeclub.org.uk) has been encouraging Bike Club staff to take on a similarly epic commute either on my first day or during my first week. As per the comment on here: http://40milesofhell.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/three-floods-and-a-lady/#comments

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
patheticshark said:
Isn't it nice when your new workplace like the idea of your commute so much they decide to do their own version?

I haven't said explicitly anywhere where I'm going to work, but it's for a national cycling charity based in Guildford (which narrows it down just a little!) and Patrick from Bike Club (www.bikeclub.org.uk) has been encouraging Bike Club staff to take on a similarly epic commute either on my first day or during my first week. As per the comment on here: http://40milesofhell.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/three-floods-and-a-lady/#comments

You should be feeling really good with yourself, great ride in and fantastic speed...take it easy i'm off to check your blog now:biggrin:

thomas

the tank engine
patheticshark said:
I haven't said explicitly anywhere where I'm going to work, but it's for a national cycling charity based in Guildford (which narrows it down just a little!)

Only a few miles down the road from me (well...150 odd from this road...but when I'm in Woking).

lukesdad

shauncollier said:
ah bordon, REME by any chance? lukesdad, what clothing have you found to do the job whilst being on the bike for so long so regular? do you have 2 sets of clothes? one for the in ride and one for the return?

Not Reme im afraid Shaun although used to do quiet a lot of xc races on their land excellent they were too. As to the change of clothes it depends on what else I have to carry, though I do take some spare in the pack at the start of the week.

lukesdad

patheticshark said:
Wow, today's practice run was floody. And rainy. And windy.

Quite fast though, for me... 38 miles (to the station rather than my office) in 1 hour 51; 19.1mph average. Not that I'm expecting to be able to do it in that kind of time by mid-week once I'm doing it for real...

Good time!...... You ll surprise your self once your doing regularly

OP
OP
patheticshark

patheticshark

And it begins...

Up at 5.15 tomorrow to leave 6am.

Saddlebag packed, metcheck checked, waterproofs at the ready.

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to ride my new bike for more than about quarter of a mile; I never got around to buying any mudguards, and I'm still not 100% sure of the route, right at the end.

This could be interesting...

Top Bottom