400k audax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’m beginning to start thinking/dreaming about my next challenge. Stepping up from my 334k ride. Probably next year. Possibly 400k.

So maybe a 400k audax? Well, I’m not sure whether I’d want to do an organised Audax ...

Potential benefits?
  • Company on the road? I can live without that, as I really need to control my own pace. And even in the unlikely event of someone doing exactly the same pace as me, do I really care? Not much, to be honest.
  • Stuff/facilities provided at controls? I think, with planning, I can live without that too. Going beyond 400, where there is a real need to have a sleep stop, I could see the advantage of having somewhere to lie down and a secure parking spot, but I’d be planning to do the 400 in one go.
  • Formal recognition from AUK? While intending absolutely no disrespect to AUK whatsoever, that doesn’t really interest me.
  • Motivation? Need to finish a committed event. Maybe.

On the other hand I can see downsides:

• Logistical nightmare getting to/from the start. Can’t just roll out of bed and start.
  • Loss of control of the route. The Audax would probably be devised by a hill-addicted sadist. Not what I need if pushing my limits of distance.
  • Confusing burden of proof-of-passage and information controls and stuff like that – not much of a burden I grant but something that I could happily live without.
  • Loss of flexibility of scheduling. Can’t say “oh, I have a cold this week. I’ll do it next week”.

So … people who have done 400k audaxes … is there any benefit to doing a formal audax that I’m not seeing?

I've only done the same 400km audax, the Severn Across, twice. Ine finished and one DNF. It might have had the first one or two manned controls, but the rest were open where you could get a receipt. The company is pretty spread out on a 400km, so while you might recognise a fellow traveller on the road, and chat briefly at a cafe, you are likely to spend most of the day on your own.

So it's up to you. I find the fixed date (no rolling over and going back to sleep) means I actually do it, and the deadline means I don't tarry at the last stop. On the other hand, the 300 I did from my home (346km back to my front door) was a much easier day. Started earlier, no overheads at all. You don't really need any support on a 300. On a 400, unless you are fast, you are going to want a stop after midnight. So that can take some planning. Finding the backway into a motorway services (Membury on the Severn Across) or quietly taking your bike up the elevator to the Costa at Gatwick are two examples.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the insight @jefmcg
My rough plan would be: Get a full nights sleep, start 7am. Longish stop somewhere in the evening. Finish the following morning, taking maybe 24 hr.

tatr

I think there are a few deliberately flat Audax UK 400s.

There's also the national 400 (with extra cake and support) which is explicitly designed to ease riders into 400s for the first time.

iandg

Legendary Member
I did my first (and only) 400 as a DIY. 1st attempt I DNFd as weather was awful. Successful ride I had a real downer at between 200 and 250km but managed to get to my next control, rest and eat and got thro' it. It would have been good to have had others around at that point for support, but an event wasn't an option because of where I live.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think there are a few deliberately flat Audax UK 400s.

There's also the national 400 (with extra cake and support) which is explicitly designed to ease riders into 400s for the first time.
Thanks.

So, it seems that the National 400 is hosted in different places round the country. The last one had 7 manned controls. I guess I'll have to wait until the location of the next one is announced. If its very North or very vertical, or both, then no. Otherwise, perhaps.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
If you don't go for an official ride, at least go for a DIY audax. It then gives you the fixed date @jefmcg mentioned. With the new DIY by GPS option it's not much more difficult to organise than plotting the route.

As to calendar events. Some are hilly. Others, like the Lincoln 400 are very flat. Over that distance the field spreads out so you only see others occasionally unless a group of you choose to ride together.

Anyway. Good luck with the 400 however you choose to ride it :smile:

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks.

Managing competing things in life may well make the date more or less fixed. I guess I just need to keep an eye on aukweb.net and see if one pops up that takes my fancy, isn't uphill all the way, and isn't stupidly awkward to get to/from.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A vote for Mark Rigby's Brevet Cymru (405km: Chepstow > Hay > Buith Wells > Llandovery (West End Cafe) > Tregaron > New Quay (on the coast! good cafe(s)) > Llandovery (West End Cafe) > dark on the A40 to Crickhowell (Llangattock, village hall at 355km where food offered and one could take a few hours rest if desired (and ahead of time)) > Chepstow (via Usk). Most controls (cafes) had a stamp. One needed a coop/spar shop receipt, you'd need food/drink there anyway. That's all 'burden of proof etc etc v light touch.
Think he takes over the Chepstow Start/Arrivee (community centre) the evening before so can go down there late Fri for a 0600 Sat start. Easily rideable from/to Bristol Parkway across the Severn Bridge and leave a bag at the hall.
Gets a good crowd so a good chance of riding with others for at least part of the time (about 50% for me last April) which offers a little variety and a bit of shelter if any wind's adverse.
I think a set date's an advantage not a 'downside' but I can see that YMMV.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@Ajax Bay

Thanks for the suggestion. One day, maybe, but the brevet Cymru has the major disadvantage that its too far from London. Logistically it would be very difficult indeed. I don't think it would be sensible to add extra miles by riding to the start. If I had to drive I'd need somewhere to sleep before and after ...

Also I used to live near Abergavenny, so I have first hand experience of the local terrain. Lovely, but not flat.

I'm upping my long rides from 100miles to 200k and possibly a bit more next year, and I'm leaning towards doing a big tour of Sussex/Kent, sticking to the flat bits as much as poss.

Start from home and get to see the sea too!

But I also have half an eye on the auk site for what pops up.

I

Thanks for the suggestion. One day, maybe, but the brevet Cymru has the major disadvantage that its too far from London. Logistically it would be very difficult indeed. I don't think it would be sensible to add extra miles by riding to the start. If I had to drive I'd need somewhere to sleep before and after ...
I'd really recommend the Severn Across (see above). It starts from Chalfont St Peter, just outside the M25 and coincidently goes to Chepstow. It's great casually saying to a neighbour "I cycle to Wales and back yesterday. Last stop is a motorway services where the only things open are the petrol station and a Starbucks ,but still an excellent ride.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd really recommend the Severn Across (see above). It starts from Chalfont St Peter, just outside the M25 and coincidently goes to Chepstow. It's great casually saying to a neighbour "I cycle to Wales and back yesterday. Last stop is a motorway services where the only things open are the petrol station and a Starbucks ,but still an excellent ride.
It's the only AUK event I know of at the moment that's suitable. I guess I need to wait to see if others pop up. For example, where is the National 400 going to be in 2017?

I've also been working on/daydreaming of a nice London - Sussex/Kent coast - London loop route.

Incidentally Severn Across seems to have been rebranded as London Wales London Unless I've got things muddled up. I think they are stretching credibility just a bit by calling Gerrards Cross "London". It's not London by any definition that I can think of.

Incidentally Severn Across seems to have been rebranded as London Wales London Unless I've got things muddled up. I think they are stretching credibility just a bit by calling Gerrards Cross "London". It's not London by any definition that I can think of.
Yup, that's definitely it. The name is new for 2017.

Or up your goal a little, and try Windsor-Chester-Windsor - though I think that won't be run next year.

Top Bottom