40mm+ touring tyre options

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I'm about to purchase new tyres for a winter tour in India. The tyres must last for at least 6,000 miles and offer good puncture protection and some off-road traction. At the moment I'm considering Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 700 x 40mm, the only other contender is Continental's Travel contact which comes in a 42mm width. (I'm erring towards the Mondials)

Can you recommend any other tyres, up to 47mm?
Thanks in advance.

. The tyres must last for at least 6,000 miles and offer good puncture protection and some off-road traction.
Can you recommend any other tyres, up to 47mm?
Thanks in advance.

You have just disqualified every bicycle tyre known to man.

Lower your standards.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The highest mileage I've known of for a pair of bicycle tyres is 42,000 miles (Conti Top Touring 26x1.75), with eventual death due to age rather than tread wear.

I'd probably go for the Marathon Mondial myself, though it does depend on what you mean by "some off road traction", since anything above none is some.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
My wife and I have Marathon Mondial 700 x 40mm on our touring bikes, we are very happy with them so far but we haven't done enough miles to recommend them as a high miler, we just don't know.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have Marathon Mondials on one of my bikes.
Too early to say about puncture protection, because I've only done about 500 miles on them, with no punctures so far.
They do have some off road traction, I have recently ridden them on a wet forest track - others fell off, I didn't ^_^ but I was sliding on deep mud.
For the record, I have a pair of Marathon Original Green-guard 26X2.00 that have done over 5,000 miles, still life in them, so 6,000 is possible in theory.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Thanks for all the posts. I went for the Mondials but the bike shop made an error and ordered the wrong tyres, so my options are still open. For the record, I would expect the Mondials to cover all bases and last at least 6,000 miles, it's just a pity that they don't come in a wider size.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
My wife and I have Marathon Mondial 700 x 40mm on our touring bikes, we are very happy with them so far but we haven't done enough miles to recommend them as a high miler, we just don't know.
Thanks, how do they feel in terms of cushioning compared to 35mm?

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
The highest mileage I've known of for a pair of bicycle tyres is 42,000 miles (Conti Top Touring 26x1.75), with eventual death due to age rather than tread wear.

I'd probably go for the Marathon Mondial myself, though it does depend on what you mean by "some off road traction", since anything above none is some.
I don't need to go off road much but there are a lot of instances where I need to use the verge . Last time I was there (India) I took a 26er Mountain bike with a knobbly front tyre and semi slick on the back which meant that I could avoid obstacles and get off the tarmac fast and use the gritty, dusty verges whenever needed without the front end slipping about. I'm hoping to take a 700c touring bike next time so that I can go faster on the main roads, provided that the bike has enough cushioning, grip etc.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree 5-6,000 miles is realistic.

I did 5,000 miles on a pair of Marathon Pluses before selling the bike.

Loads of life left in them.

Use must play a part.

I am a steady rider who objects to using the brakes.

Top Bottom