* 45 Mile Ride !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbspark

hey folks,
has anyone done a ride for 45 miles or more,:biggrin: i'm doin the buckingham palace to windsor castle ride with heart fm radio station on sep 07, has any of you guys done this or know someone who has,

do you hit a wall and any tips on training, would be nice, oh and there is a pic of a few of my team members, have a quick look, not sure if we will be doing a lot of sight seeing?

snorri

Legendary Member
This might not be the place for good advice, as I doubt if any of the guys on here have ever cycled for 45 miles as the lone male in a team of naked women:sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi gbs, welcome and well done for going for it !!
I did a BHF 45 miler in a similar situation to you. I didnt have much experience or mileage under my belt at that time, and it seemed like a mountain to climb.
Get some regular mileage in. I didnt do 45 miles at all before the ride itself..i just worked my way from 15 milers, to 20, and maybe an odd 30 before the ride. 45 on the day was hard, but i survived (i did come home second....but its not a race)
Aim to train twice a week as a start...perhaps a good ride at the weekend, and maybe a lighter one in the week one evening...maybe more if you feel up for it.
Dont overdo it...you got a while yet.

How much do you do now, and how regular ?
What bike are you going to ride ?
You will do it...but the more work you put in before, it will help condition you.

Good luck.

Mr Pig

What sort of distances do you normaly ride? If it's a fun ride and you're not pushing yourself too hard you'll be fine as long as you do a few practice runs first. Maybe do about two or three runs a week before the day, building up to twenty miles, and rest for the day or two before the run. Try to practice on hills as it really builds up your stamina.

On the day drink an energy drink, like Lucazade Sport, and eat bananas and chocholate small bites at a time. If you stop for lunch don't bag yourself up with stodge or you'll suffer big time! ;0)

Try to travel light. Even if you get wet you'll not be too cold because your body is working. I carry my food in a poly bag that I can just bin when it's finished rather than carry and empty backpack half the day.

OP
OP
G

gbspark

hi gbb,
ido about a 10 mile in week, and about a 15 on weekends,
i've got a gt, mountain bike, and live in chingford, there are a lot of hills there as its near epping forest so to do 10 miles is like doing about 50 haha.
it seems quite heavy but not sure it would be worth buying a lighter one just for the ride as its ok for normal stuff,
can you remembe how long it took you to do 45 miles, or what sort av speed o should look at?

gbb

Legendary Member
gbspark said:
hi gbb,
ido about a 10 mile in week, and about a 15 on weekends,
i've got a gt, mountain bike, and live in chingford, there are a lot of hills there as its near epping forest so to do 10 miles is like doing about 50 haha.
it seems quite heavy but not sure it would be worth buying a lighter one just for the ride as its ok for normal stuff,
can you remembe how long it took you to do 45 miles, or what sort av speed o should look at?

A smidgeon over 3 hours....that was on a roadbike. Some of the guys on MTBs and hybrids took about 1/2 to 3/4 hour longer.
I did put in some moderately serious practice in the few weeks before...you'll be surprised how you quickly pass milestone in distances if you put the work in.
My first 10 to 15 milers were killers, but all of a sudden, you stretch to 20...and soon that seems easy.

To be honest, even if you ride on the day and take it really steady and enjoy it, you'll probably be more than ok, albeit slow. Its the enjoyment that should come first.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I would start doing slightly more training, and slowly picking up the distances. Then when you get to a certain distance, do about the same amount of miles, but up the speed. Then, move the distance further and try and keep the speed again. Remember to rest though.
But most of all, enjoy it. If you want to take it easy, then take it easy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Maybe aim for 4 hours to do the ride - you need to up the training to 20-30 mile rides. Take some food - anything rich in carbs - oat bars, bananas, and plenty of drinks. Do not drink any sugary 'pop' unless you are near the finish - you'll certainly 'hit the wall' - Carb drinks are the best.

Plenty of us on here do 45 mile plus rides each weekend, but as we are 'used to it' we'll take just a couple of bottles and maybe a banana. I have a hilly 45 mile route that takes in 2 major climbs in the peak district in just over 2 hours 30, so don't what ever you do, aim for that...just yet.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd do some 30+ milers as a taster to see how you're doing. I always found a big difference between 35+ and below it. You might of course handle them absolutely fine.

red_tom

Whatever you decide to eat on the ride, give it a go during training beforehand. I got some fancy gels for the cycle leg of my first triathlon. They went down well and came back up even better :biggrin:. Did stop the guy behind me from drafting me quite so close though. :biggrin:

My fave - malt loaf squidged down and wrapped in foil. Mmmmm.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another important point gbs...we're all talking about YOU preparing for the ride...but dont forget the bike.
I checked mine out just a day before the ride...and found my rear wheel bearings were grinding somewhat. :biggrin::ohmy:
A feverish strip, grease and adjustment was neccessary. I could have done without that.

Check your brakes are'nt rubbing on the wheels.
Check your wheels run freely and there is no wobble on the axles.
Pump up your tyres as hard as you can. These bits will help the bike to run efficiently.
Check all other bits are working correctly.
Have you got suspension on that bike ? If you have, lock the suspension out......it'll sap your energy needlessly.

OP
OP
G

gbspark

another thing aswell lads,,
i suppose a good saddle is order of the day too , is it best to get a saddle with padding and a slot down the middle for our , extra bits?

Chris James

Über Member
To be honest, for 45 miles I'd swerve the carbo drinlks etc recommended by others on here.

Just take a couple of bottles of fruit juice /water mix or squash (whatever you think tastes nicest) and some money for shops. Drink early and often, basically just keep sipping. If it is hot this is particularly important.

Bananas are great food for the ride as they don't melt! Take a couple.

Have a decent brekkie beforehand if you can. Things like porridge are good, and toast and jam. Basically something to set yourself up for the day but not a fry up.

Then on the ride just take it steady - don't go off too hard. If you can get in with a group of other riders then it is nice to have a chat and you'll find they pull you along a bit.

Top Bottom