451 Rims - The quest continues...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Survivor Bikes

Evening all,

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced supplier for 451 rims? I use them for my retro city bike restomods; but old skool BMXers buy them too, resulting in ‘high end’ pricing, so to speak. I‘m always on the lookout for 28h 451 rims, which I build up with 20 x 1-3/8 tyres and original Sturmey Archer hubs. CHEERS

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
SJS Cycles are your possible option: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-20-451/

I'm on the look-out for a pair of 451 road wheels for my Dawes Kingpin but may have to go this route.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Thanks DC, I’ve built a couple before using sun rims from SJS. Not the cheapest, but they are very good quality. Occasionally, I come across good value old school BMX 36h 451 rims; and then it’s just a case of finding a 36h front hub, and AW.

I’ve got three or four Kingpins in my boneyard, awaiting resto. If you need any bits in the future, I’m sure I can spare them.

Happy small-wheeelin’ 😊

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Hi @lucidone , that’s a very kind offer. However, I’ve just stocked up on a combination of 28h Sun Rims and a bunch of old school 36h Japanese chrome rims. So I’ll graciously pass 👍

lucidone

Hi @lucidone , that’s a very kind offer. However, I’ve just stocked up on a combination of 28h Sun Rims and a bunch of old school 36h Japanese chrome rims. So I’ll graciously pass 👍
👍 Good news and those sun rims are certainly in-keeping if you're looking to retain an in-period look.

I also have a set of 440 (500A) alloy rims (on wheels) which strike me as being quite unusual - don't know if you / anyone else has come across such? Don't know what to do with these yet, they need a wee bit of TLC and are mounted on track hubs.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

👍 Good news and those sun rims are certainly in-keeping if you're looking to retain an in-period look.

I also have a set of 440 (500A) alloy rims (on wheels) which strike me as being quite unusual - don't know if you / anyone else has come across such? Don't know what to do with these yet, they need a wee bit of TLC and are mounted on track hubs.
Haha, Between us, I should imagine we’ve owned every alleged “twenty inch” sized rim there is!

One of these days I’ll do something different; like a R20 with Caprice front forks (and a 406 front wheel), with a 451 (or bigger) on the rear. Then I’ll add a banana seat with a sissy bar. It’ll be a sort of chopper / cruiser crossbreed. I’ll call it a ‘cropper’ or a ‘chooser’. Watch this space...

lucidone

Haha, Between us, I should imagine we’ve owned every alleged “twenty inch” sized rim there is!

One of these days I’ll do something different; like a R20 with Caprice front forks (and a 406 front wheel), with a 451 (or bigger) on the rear. Then I’ll add a banana seat with a sissy bar. It’ll be a sort of chopper / cruiser crossbreed. I’ll call it a ‘cropper’ or a ‘chooser’. Watch this space...
Sounds fun although I'm personally a big wheel up front, little wheel in the back kind of chap, unfortunately a comprehensive education has left me ruined and ruled by convention!^_^

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Contact Nick Payne in the Facebook Raleigh Twenty group. He seems to have an inexhaustible supply. All 28h alloy.

Top Bottom