4TH Nov London to Brighton Veteran car run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kerching for another gratuitous brexit reference.

I went to spain well before "free movement", ditto all over europe - no probs at all.

Same type of trip would be more of a problem these days under "free movement" due to some countries/cities getting snotty about wandering young folk.

I don't anticipate any more serious problems in future than riding my bike to brighton.

Back to the car dash.

StuartG

slower but further
In Spain. Exercising my right to freedom of movement while I still can.
Aseos caballero?

just not sure yet; looks like the trusty kingcycle may still be undergoing necessary servicing at bikefix; also its been sooo cold and damp/chilly in London. Not sure if i want to do it on another recumbent.
will keep an open mind and probably decide some time on saturday..
if i dont do it then i hope that those that do have a great day out.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
It's my intention to start at Black Prince road ( opposite the old Bingo Hall ) 7.10..ish and to slowly make my way up to East Croydon station for the 9am depart

Reminder Beware the Veteran cars don't brake too well ( over the years i've been "bumped" twice ) so watch yourself at traffic lights

Last edited:

AlexB

Veteran
I really want to do this, but due to some freak happenstance we found a stray dog last night and I can't leave it alone in the house while I go out and have fun!
Damn my soft heart.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Splendid! It's always a pleasure to ride along with the cars, when you get past Crawley and they realise we're still going is a treat. Along the way there was a field full of yanks and some strays along the way.

As always it's great to ride with you guys +@User13710

No fish and chips for me, I wanted to be home before lights on.

first lot of pics
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmt1r4sB

frank9755

Cyclist
For those who weren't there, a couple of things felt different this year:
- a lot more spectators by the roadside - which was great. It was good weather, but it was even better last year.
- a few more cars than usual. For example, on the hill out of Redhill, the old cars had to stop and start, making it more challenging for some of them to get up.
- lots of poppies, presumably because it's the centenary. I expect it will stick and there will be more poppies in future

We kept saying to each other, were we later than last year, because there were more people. I looked back at my files and I was about half an hour later to Crawley and 50 mins later to Brighton. Would that be enough of a difference to make it more busy? Probably not.

Top Bottom