4TH Nov London to Brighton Veteran car run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Actually the other thing that was different this year was a lot more union jacks, including one guy who was wearing a suit and top hat made out of one. Maybe it goes with there being a bigger crowd or with the poppies, or could it be a Brexit thing? Whatever, most likely the flags will be a feature in future years.

StuartG

slower but further
Report from the Anerley Chain Gang. The first breakage of the day. Crawley 9:30:

ride_20181104c-800x448.jpg

OK it was a Vet car but I was tailgating the car as the transmission* unrolled dead in front of me. I swerved to the left but the car had lost traction so was stopping fast. Brown shorts moment.

That would have been enough but on the return our rider in front unrolled his chain too. We were scratching our heads when a tramp in the doorway opposite enquired if we needed a chainbreaker. Ahem, yes - and there it was. You really do get a better class of tramp down there. He was well rewarded.

* The driver did admit the chain was 80 years old and "wearing a bit".

StuartG

slower but further
That would have been enough but on the return our rider in front unrolled his chain too. We were scratching our heads when a tramp in the doorway opposite enquired if we needed a chainbreaker. Ahem, yes - and there it was. You really do get a better class of tramp down there. He was well rewarded.
What I didn't know when I posted this was that the chain having broken again my friend having pocketed a tenner to catch the train back at 1pm - had turned and said this to another friend:

"I decided to convert the bike to a velocipede - removed the chain; tied up the cranks and lowered the saddle and skied home arriving just before the family were debating about whether they should start ringing the emergency services around 10.30".

That's about 45 miles in 9.5 hours - after a 50 mile ride. Not bad for a 69 year old!
It must have looked something like this (though he had no tri-bars fitted like this bloke):

3920d154-ec1a-40a1-ad37-39c6be0f3b1e.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Report from the Anerley Chain Gang. The first breakage of the day. Crawley 9:30:

View attachment 437607

OK it was a Vet car but I was tailgating the car as the transmission* unrolled dead in front of me. I swerved to the left but the car had lost traction so was stopping fast. Brown shorts moment.

* The driver did admit the chain was 80 years old and "wearing a bit".

Stuart ,you seem to have a gathering habit of smashing into the back of cars.......
Maldon ride anyone?

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Great pics, one of my favorite cars is the yellow steam powered one with a bag of wood and a pail of water on the back, was that still running?

Top Bottom