4x4, Mounts the Kerb, Hits me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedStork

Pushing tin said:
yes, its an MOT fail for the spare tyre to not be fit for use.

it is possible to get round this by having puncture repair stuff instead of a spare.

Tyres are not tested in an MOT, I know this because my missus bought a car from a dodgy dealer (Premier Car Sales in Peterborough - scum). However here's the proper proof:

"Wheels and tyres - condition, security, tyre size and type, and tread depth. Spare tyres are not tested" http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10016070

What are the legalities of letting tyres down? Surely it could be classed as criminal damage, or reckless endagerment?

RedStork said:
Tyres are not tested in an MOT, I know this because my missus bought a car from a dodgy dealer (Premier Car Sales in Peterborough - scum). However here's the proper proof:

"Wheels and tyres - condition, security, tyre size and type, and tread depth. Spare tyres are not tested" http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_10016070

What are the legalities of letting tyres down? Surely it could be classed as criminal damage, or reckless endagerment?

i've had mine fail on the tyres, mainly the spare!

Maz

Guru
Some of you lot should hear yersens. Out in cyberspace yer coming up with all kinds of outlandish retributions, but in reality you'd probably just tut and maybe do a roll-eyes for added effect. Ye big neshters.

I must admit, I do like Arch's idea, though...'vague recollection', my foot! Your secret's safe with me.;)

PBancroft

Rhythm Thief said:
They don't check the spare. It's not a legal requirement to carry one, for a start.

Correct.

Pushing Tin - if you have an external carrier for your tyre, they may have been checking if it was securely fitted (and if not, fail you on that).

Or it could have just been a "recommendation" but not a fail.

Or they were having you on.

Maz said:
Some of you lot should hear yersens. Out in cyberspace yer coming up with all kinds of outlandish retributions, but in reality you'd probably just tut and maybe do a roll-eyes for added effect. Ye big neshters.

I must admit, I do like Arch's idea, though...'vague recollection', my foot! Your secret's safe with me.:angry:

Succinctly put :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:

I must admit, I do like Arch's idea, though...'vague recollection', my foot! Your secret's safe with me.:becool:

I never! Honest! I was really expecting someone to tell me it doesn't work anyway.

Still, one could always carry a few suitably sized bits of grit in one's pocket;)

Actually, I could check if it works, on my winter hack, that has one Shraeder valve (and one Presta, yes, I know, I know....)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Arch said:
I never! Honest! I was really expecting someone to tell me it doesn't work anyway.

Still, one could always carry a few suitably sized bits of grit in one's pocket;)

Actually, I could check if it works, on my winter hack, that has one Shraeder valve (and one Presta, yes, I know, I know....)

Arch, you have the bike skills that many could only dream to have:becool:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Joe24 said:
Arch, you have the bike skills that many could only dream to have:becool:

That's nothing. One day I aim to have three different valves on my trike...:biggrin: Just need a tube with a woods valve...

It's just what happens when your bikes are all built up out of odds and ends. Two suitable wheels, one happened to be drilled for Shraeder, one for Presta. I could adapt the Shraeder for a Presta, i think with a washer to narrow it, but I just never get round to it...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Not many people these days know that if you block the exhaust - for example by jamming a spud on it - the car won't start. So they won't check. The AA man will probably find it...55 minutes later....

OP
OP
garrilla

garrilla

[quote name='swee'pea99']Not many people these days know that if you block the exhaust - for example by jamming a spud on it - the car won't start. So they won't check. The AA man will probably find it...55 minutes later....[/quote]

That would have been apt as I had been to the greengrocers.

I think this thread has run on for long enough.

Some drivers are stupid, they can't help that. But really, I think too much thought has put into how retribution should be sought. I don't think it achieves anything.

I'm no angel, I've turned off a bus before now having been incensed by a driver who tried squashing us and then drew along side us with his doors open to abuse us - all whilst on the approach to a red light.

A woman on the back of the bus was physically shaken and possibly even suffered mild shock symptoms because of what the bus driver had done to us.

I still partially regret what I did. I'm now trying to stay calm as it doesn't do well to be so strung up whilst out on the road. It also doesn't really help our cause when people who are primarily motorists happen upon this thread and read through 6 pages of cyclists planning retribution.

ed_o_brain said:
I think this thread has run on for long enough.

Some drivers are stupid, they can't help that. But really, I think too much thought has put into how retribution should be sought. I don't think it achieves anything.

I'm no angel, I've turned off a bus before now having been incensed by a driver who tried squashing us and then drew along side us with his doors open to abuse us - all whilst on the approach to a red light.

A woman on the back of the bus was physically shaken and possibly even suffered mild shock symptoms because of what the bus driver had done to us.

I still partially regret what I did. I'm now trying to stay calm as it doesn't do well to be so strung up whilst out on the road. It also doesn't really help our cause when people who are primarily motorists happen upon this thread and read through 6 pages of cyclists planning retribution.

If only a simple letting the tyres down on a bike was as far as it went for the occasional motor vehicle driver who wants retribution for claimed dangerous cycling faux pas.
I rather liked the name and shame over the Sainsburys tannoy, better than doing nothing. (and the potato, matchstick, small stone etc)

JUST TO MAKE THAT 7 PAGES

Top Bottom