5 essentials for new cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling_Samurai

https://www.wanderingjustin.com/bike-accessories-for-new-cyclists/

I was looking over the article and it seems ok. I did want to ask about cycling gloves. I have two pair but I don't use them and I've rarely seen anyone use them. My main reason is that the gloves cut off circulation in my fingers. The article argues that anyone who has fallen will understand to use gloves. They refer to falling down. I don't know about you but I'm not out cycling to fall down. A better argument would have been for cold weather. We all know that.
As it is, Giro is bringing a supposedly better glove to the market. Comparing them Bib short chamois. Perhaps you've seen the advertisement.

tyred

Legendary Member
I cycled about 5,000 miles last year without helmet, specific cycling shoes, without padded shorts, without GPS, video camera or electrolyte tablets.

I wish people would stop saying you need these things as it makes cycling appear complicated, expensive and dangerous to potential newcomers.

chris-suffolk

https://www.wanderingjustin.com/bike-accessories-for-new-cyclists/

I was looking over the article and it seems ok. I did want to ask about cycling gloves. I have two pair but I don't use them and I've rarely seen anyone use them. My main reason is that the gloves cut off circulation in my fingers. The article argues that anyone who has fallen will understand to use gloves. They refer to falling down. I don't know about you but I'm not out cycling to fall down. A better argument would have been for cold weather. We all know that.
As it is, Giro is bringing a supposedly better glove to the market. Comparing them Bib short chamois. Perhaps you've seen the advertisement.

For me gloves (fingered and fingerless) give some padding to dampen road vibration, and also (mainly fingerless) stop my hands slipping on the bars when sweating - which doesn't take much if you are working hard, say uphill, especially in warm weather.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Gloves / mitts, yes - and if they're too tight for you maybe you're wearing too-small a size?

Helmet, yes, but that's my choice and often a requirement in club rides / racing.
Shorts, yes. Again personal but they're fine.
I'll usually wear a lycra jersey if I'm doing some distance.

Others aren't 'essential' but I've found them useful; clipless pedals with shoes, socks, lights, mudguards in the winter/rain.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

I cycled about 5,000 miles last year without helmet, specific cycling shoes, without padded shorts, without GPS, video camera or electrolyte tablets.

I wish people would stop saying you need these things as it makes cycling appear complicated, expensive and dangerous to potential newcomers.
I could see an argument about not needing a helmet. But I'd risk a head injury to finally understand that it's better to have properly worn a helmet. I don't see anyone needing electrolyte tablets. You really need cycling shoes but they are a big help if used properly. No one needs a GPS. I just use my phone. Well an app to keep track of mileage. Cycling isn't complicated just certain tools help. Others not as much or at all.

vickster

Legendary Member
What a crock. Wear what you want and cycle however you want, just do it with consideration for your own safety and that of others.
I wear mitts, helmet and padded shorts and have a garmin but that’s my choice.
Can’t use clipless pedals any more due to a fooked knee but flats and trail running shoes work just as well to move the bike.
Electrolyte tabs are only second in vileness to gels :whistle:

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

Gloves / mitts, yes - and if they're too tight for you maybe you're wearing too-small a size?
Probably the design of the glove.

I have 3 sets of cycling gear, jersey and Bib shorts. I've cycled often during the week and the amount of sweat and road dirt that gets on them begs for them to be washed after each ride. I assume the road dirt because it is there and gets on everything on the road or beside the road. I have cheap jerseys and bib shorts with one expensive bib short. The expensive one is marginally better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom