5 essentials for new cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Did anyone mention EPO?

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

This is why I wear gloves over any distance, protection from gravel rash is secondary.

Sounds like the OPs gloves are too small if they're cutting off his circulation.

I rarely spend much on gloves as I know I will lose them at some point.

Mid range, of reasonable construction are fine - i couldn't say what brand I'm sporting right now, but they do the job :okay:
No the gloves aren't too small. They simply cut into hand circulation for some reason. As said before I believe it's the design.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

More like 5 non essential wiffly waffly items
I agree there are many wiffly waffly items out there. Most tend to be electronic items. Like why carry a Garmin on your bike when you have a mobile? But basic gear for cycling is essential to getting the most out of your effort. Is it absolutely necessary? No. The only thing absolutely necessary for cycling is to have a bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When I started cycling again, a friend told me about the importance of gloves. He was an antique restorer and skilled woodworker. He said that if you come off the bike on tarmac, your natural reaction, mid-air, is to put out your hands to break your fall and save your face, teeth and collar bone. When you do that, the tarmac acts like a very coarse abrasive and planes the skin off your palms. As a result, your hands are pretty much out of action for at least a couple of weeks........inconvenient if you use them to earn a living. I never forgot his advice and always wear gloves.

Trickedem

Guru
Having been stung by a bee that got stuck in my cycling helmet I can't agree with him on that.
I think a rear view mirror is a more useful bit of kit than some of the things he recommends.
AND as for drivers behaving differently around him because he has an invisible camera...I think not.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I agree there are many wiffly waffly items out there. Most tend to be electronic items. Like why carry a Garmin on your bike when you have a mobile? But basic gear for cycling is essential to getting the most out of your effort. Is it absolutely necessary? No. The only thing absolutely necessary for cycling is to have a bike.

I could give you a list if you like? Though I'd start by substituting a Wahoo. ^_^

I don't know about you but I'm not out cycling to fall down

i dont think any cyclist goes out with the intention of falling down , but as you know it does happen and and considering it is instinct to stretch out your arms and try to land hands first , then well made and well fitting gloves prevents a lot of skin loss etc .

Brandane

Legendary Member
Like why carry a Garmin on your bike when you have a mobile?
1. A Garmin is compact and fits to a small bracket on my stem.
2. I don't carry my phone with me all the time (it's an old school thing, alien to anyone under the age of 30).
3. If I was to go on a long ride, say 6 hours or so, presumably I would need to leave my phone on? My battery would not last that long. Garmin does, no problem.

I don't plan on falling over when I go for a bike ride. I was riding on my daily commute down an arterial A road in a small town. My right of way, lights, brights, helmet and mitts.
A car came straight across from the right hand side quite slowly but instead of letting me pass he continued and I rode into and across his bonnet, then skittered down 10m of road.
By the time I stopped I was a bit battered and bruised with ripped tracksters and goretex and about 1mm of leather skimmed off the palm of my mitts.

I got patched up in hospital and was back at my desk by 11.00.

Without mitts I would have been incapacitated for several weeks, unable to wash myself and in need of a very good friend.

Hands heal really slowly and painfully. Mitts are there for a reason. I have never heard of mitt nazi but I am one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

1. A Garmin is compact and fits to a small bracket on my stem.
2. I don't carry my phone with me all the time (it's an old school thing, alien to anyone under the age of 30).
3. If I was to go on a long ride, say 6 hours or so, presumably I would need to leave my phone on? My battery would not last that long. Garmin does, no problem.
I can understand where you are coming from. I think you need a newer mobile or learn to optimize your usage. My mobile will last me all day with GPS, bluetooth, and mobile data on. I usually put my phone in my seatpost bag for rides over 30 miles and don't often look at it during my ride. I have taken it out at stops to take pictures, messages, and calls. Rides under 35 miles I started keeping it in my Jersey. I'm well over 30 but I'm in the IT field so it may set me apart from most cyclists over 30 in terms of tech knowledge. If you like your Garmin or Wahoo and it works for you then good for you.🙂 I just don't see it being practical when you could use your mobile to do what separate devices do except to count cadence or pulse check. Then separate devices are needed. I got a bike fit and found my cadence so I don't need a device. I simply work on pedaling faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom