5 essentials for new cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

How many mobile phone providers do you know who will repair or replace a damaged phone which has just hit the tarmac at 15mph or more? Personally I don't understand why anyone would risk a valuable and expensive device like a mobile in these circumstances. Yes, I do carry my phone with me.
I assume that you are referring to having your mobile in a mount on your handle bars. That would be putting your mobile at risk of damage. Hence why I put mine in my seatpost bag and if it's raining I also have it in a ziplock as well. Nice and safe. Any device mounted on your handle bars are at risk of damage.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I don't find anything really wrong with the list in the article. Helmet is essential. There is nothing good about brains scattered on the asphalt. I wear gloves. Some do. Some don't. I prefer the ones without the gel in the palm. I find it's the gel that cuts off circulation. I just like a plain leather palm. Gotta have padded bike shorts. Those things really save my butt. And if you ride in the colder weather, you don't necessarily need to go buy bike specific padded tights. Just wear regular tights over the shorts. I also like wearing bike shoes with clipless pedals. I like the connection to the bike that they give me. Gotta have water or some sort of hydration. And you need a way to fix a flat or other minor mishaps that can happen while riding. Oh, and eyewear. But with all this stuff, you don't have to go fancy. I buy cheap stuff mostly. Functional, with good reviews from other buyers, and reasonably priced, preferably last year's model on sale. And then of course there's the bike. Now that is the expensive part. But so worth it.

figbat

Slippery scientist
We’ve done the “phone vs GPS” a few times. A GPS device is rugged, small, readable and relatively inexpensive, with a long battery life. If it gets smashed, stolen or goes flat you still have your phone as a backup or to call for help. If you are putting your phone in a pocket then its not doing what a GPS device does.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I assume that you are referring to having your mobile in a mount on your handle bars. That would be putting your mobile at risk of damage. Hence why I put mine in my seatpost bag and if it's raining I also have it in a ziplock as well. Nice and safe. Any device mounted on your handle bars are at risk of damage.
So then why did you make the post below?

I agree there are many wiffly waffly items out there. Most tend to be electronic items. Like why carry a Garmin on your bike when you have a mobile? But basic gear for cycling is essential to getting the most out of your effort. Is it absolutely necessary? No. The only thing absolutely necessary for cycling is to have a bike.

It's blindingly obvious why people use a Garmin or Wahoo. It can be safely mounted on the bars!!!!!!!!!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I had some nice banana and jam sandwiches on today’s ride. Yum yum.

boydj

Legendary Member
I always wear mitts or gloves and eye protection. Clipless pedals with cycling shoes, bib shorts or longs and cycling tops all help to make longer rides more comfortable and efficient. I wear a cap to keep the sun off my baldy bit - I think the effectiveness of helmets is much overstated, ok for racing or mountain biking, but for leisure road riding - no way. How many helmets do you see in Holland?

I have a Lezyne computer to log my rides because I like to keep a record of my mileage and where I've been - if it's not on Strava it didn't happen. I don't race, though I'm in a club and do club runs (in my cap) with the slow group, and I'm not interested in chasing segments, but I do like to monitor my fitness as old age takes its toll.

Sounds much more preferable yes.. I tend to go for a bag of mixed brazil nuts (for protein and oil) and dates..

Or some of them naked bars.. They're quite nice.

But then I'm not racing anyone - I've not even got one of those garmin thingybobs.

Flapjacks and crisps if I'm going further afield.

I do all my navigation using a good old paper map. Don't need batteries for that! :laugh:

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

So then why did you make the post below?

It's blindingly obvious why people use a Garmin or Wahoo. It can be safely mounted on the bars!!!!!!!!!!
You make a good point about Garmin. Didn't really think about it that way. Just a different way of doing things I suppose. If you are familiar with your route you really don't need a GPS. Having a device in front of you seems distracting. Also seems like it'll get nicked. My first tail light/brake light got nicked whilst I was in a corner shop.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Helmet is essential. There is nothing good about brains scattered on the asphalt.

There is a whole section on this forum dedicated to the helmet debate, so I don't intend to get involved here - but this is scaremongering nonsense. If you have an accident so serious as to cause this, then you are dangerously deluded if you think a cycle helmet is going to save you.

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

There is a whole section on this forum dedicated to the helmet debate, so I don't intend to get involved here - but this is scaremongering nonsense. If you have an accident so serious as to cause this, then you are dangerously deluded if you think a cycle helmet is going to save you.
It's understood that helmets have their limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom