5 tour recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dianel

I have just returned from a holiday cycling the Trans Pennine Trail, this sort of holiday was a first for me and I enjoyed it so much I am planning next years trip. My sister wants to come and she doesn't have as much chance to train as I do, so I'm looking to find a route of approx 200+miles, that is relatively flat (I'm thinking the Fens or Holland etc), with minimum city/town riding and as picturesque as possible. Looking for 5 days on the bikes. Does anyone have any thoughts/recommendations/useful links/recommended books etc?

pinkkaz

Veteran
We're going to the Loire Valley next week - whoo hoo! Obviously I can't recommend it yet as I haven't been but it looks flat (as it follows the river), it's mostly a cycle path for the whole route and you can pick and choose which section you do.

Here's a useful link: http://www.loire-a-velo.fr/ (there's a link to the English section of the site with a cycle map.

And you can get there via Eurostar + fast train v cheaply if you book in advance.

Copious vinyard-visiting opportunities as well as castles galore.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi

Really glad you enjoyed your first tour! If you fancy going abroad for a week, I'd hugely recommend the TauernRadweg in Austria - you fly to Salzburg, pick up a hire bike and take the train into the mountains at Krimml...and then cycle downhill back to Salzburg! It was my first tour about five years ago and I loved it so much I bought a decent bike the week I got back and the rest is history. I wrote a short journal of it...the link is here. I'd really recommend it.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=1973&v=2n

snorri

Legendary Member
There are many routes in The Netherlands which would suit your criteria. Google 'Lf1 route' and you will get info on a coastal route which is easily accessed from the ferry terminals at Ijmuiden or Hoek van Holland. The routes are well signposted, and motor traffic will not be a worry, even in towns, as there is good cycle friendly infrastructure.

There is a new system now in parts of the country where all junctions are given a 2digit number and along with the appropriate map purchased from the ANWB you can devise your own cycle route. This will consist of a list of numbers which you tick off as you pass each junction. At every junction there is a small sign post telling you the direction to the next junction on your list. Cycling by numbers!

Top Bottom