5 weeks completed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
of No Smoking :biggrin:

I quit smoking on Feb 1st and since then i have been doing some regular small rides of about 5/6 miles to try and get my fitness back to a sensible level. on thursday i decided to take the afternoon off work and try a longer ride, well i managed to do 16.5 miles :biggrin: i know this is a very short ride for some of you on here but for the 1st time my legs gave in before my lungs did :biggrin:

The route was mainly in the country lanes and 2/3rds of it was pretty flat but the last 1/3rd really showed how bad my fitness is and that my bike needs to be altered for this kind of riding

My bike is a 2005 Giant Terrago hard tail mountain bike with full on mud plugger heavy tyres although i have ordered some continental contact travel tyres for it which should make life alot easier, here are the stats for my ride taken from my computer thingy

Distance = 16.5 miles
Time = 1 hr 44 mins (of actual pedalling time) this does'nt include a few rest stops of about 10 mins each
Average speed = 9.5 MPH ... i was doing an average of 12.4 untill i hit the hills on the 1/3rd of the ride
Top Speed = 38.2 ... that was a lovely downhill single track lane that i could see for about 300 yards at all times

once i have the new tyres on i'l be looking to improve on these stats and get some longer rides in ... but i am enjoying it

Simon

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Gret stuff!
Giving-up the weed is no mean feat, 5 weeks is really excellent, so a big pat on the back from me (an ex-smoker).
Good news on the cycling too, take it as a good start, knobblies on the road are hard work for anybody. What you've set is a very reasonable benchmark, keep-up the good work and those times will soon tumble as your fitness improves, they really will, and soon.
You're on the path to a healthier and happier future!

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Thank You ... I appreciate the encouragement

I'm doing a 26 mile charity ride for the Devon Air Ambulance on the 3rd of May so im hoping to do quite a few rides of that distance before the 3rd so that i'l be confident of not looking like a complete Numpty on the day ... new tyres should be here on Monday but looking at the weather forecast i wont be attempting anything on 2 wheels

Simon

dudi

Well done!

I gave up 2 years ago now... staggering how much difference it makes to your fitness when you look back...

Keep up the good work!

I give up over thirty years ago, apart from the odd few at family weddings and funerials but to be honest I still fancy a fag now and again. The only thing that stops me is the horrible smell left on my cloths afterwards.:wacko::evil:
Cush

mondobongo

Über Member
Keep going you must have seen a vast difference in your lifestyle already, I know I have, 4 weeks for me.

Shaun

Founder
As an ex 40-a-day man I can only say well done, and keep it up if you can because you won't look back.

You'd have to kill me to get me to smoke another fag now, and since my daughter was only 1 when I quit she's not going to have any memories of me ever smoking, and I've got more pleasure out of being an active dad than I think I would have as a breathless 40-a-day dad :evil:

Just one thing, don't be disturbed if you put a bit of weight on - every ex-smoker I know (myself included) has put on a good few pounds after quitting - I think it's down to the simple fact that everything tastes fantastic again ... even a plain old carrot has much more zing to it. :ohmy:

Cheers,
Shaun

OP
OP
Muddyfox

Muddyfox

Guru
Mondobongo

Well done and keep going ... i have noticed a vast difference, i seem to have alot more energy and i just feel alot healthier not to mention the extra money that i have gained which is all being put into a pot on a daily basis so that i can see it growing although i have just dipped into it for a new set of Continental Contact Travel tyres to try and make life a bit easier using my mountain bike on the road, and my new addiction is much much better than smoking ... Blueberry Muffins :ohmy:

Admin

Well done to you as well Sir ... coming off 40 a day must've been very tough

I do alot of biking with Jake and i also help out with some coaching at Jake's rugby club as a parent helper and i really enjoy having time with him doing Lad's and Dad's stuff but the older he gets the more difficult it is to keep up so like you i had to decide whether to continue with the fags or become a fitter Dad (i've never smoked in the house because of the kids)

As for putting on weight ... i've put on just over a stone which is a good thing for me as i was under weight and i have a very low BMI (4.9%) which was quite a concern for the doctor that did the test ... but thanks to kicking the Habit things are looking good

Simon

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cool! You know, a blueberry muffin counts as one of your five a day, do't you? Well, it does in my book..."Arch's Big Book of Please Yourself Nutrition";)

Well done all on the giving up smoking stuff. I've never had to, never having smoked, but bearing in mind my lack of self control regarding food, I salute you!

Top Bottom