50-34 crankset 12-28 Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cjw1997

Regular
Hi everyone
Im relativley new to cycling and just purchased my first road bike. It comes with a shimano tiagra 50-34 12-28 set up. The bike is going to be used to commute to work which involves a 15-20% short climb. Will the set up that is already on the bike be suitable to climb this hill? Has anyone else got the same set up and how do you find climbing hills? Is it adequate for the steeper climbs or is a different cassette required.
thanks in advance

Sharky

Guru
You should be fine. A 1 in 5 climb will always hurt, but if you are in your twenties, you should have the strength to haul yourself up. Walking a few yards is no shame either, something that I occasionally do, but you will soon master it.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

I have that set up on my bike. Never needed to walk up a hill (even when at my least-fit when medical issues prevented regular cycling and my weight increased to c17 stone). That said, I doubt I was attempting 20% hills. No shame in walking for a bit though.

Ian

ChrisEyles

Guru
34/28 will be fine and is a relatively low gear for a road bike, though it might take a few weeks of cycling up the hill for it to become "comfortable".

FWIW I ride a 1960s ten speed with a 42/28 bottom gear, and while it's hard work I can get up a 1:5 gradient with too much hassle, if I've been riding a fair bit recently. If I'm not bike fit, it can be pretty painful!

My tourer has a bottom gear of 24/30, and that will climb anything carrying bike packing gear. Having the option of so low a gear does mean I tend to be a lot slower on this bike up the hills, as my natural tendency is to be lazy - the ten speed just doesn't give me this option.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If you can't get up the hill on 34*28 keep riding it till you can.

That's how cycling works.

This.

My old Cumbrian commute was 5 hilly miles. At first it took me 25 mins and I dropped down to the little 22t ring on most hills... after a few months it took little over 15 mins and the 22t ring was obsolete. :okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
20% is very steep. Not sure how short 'short' is in your original post. If short is 10 metres (:smile:) you'll be fine but, as a relative newcomer to cycling, even if it's only a couple of hundred metres you'll struggle, it will hurt, you might end up going so slow you could topple off and you could injure your eg knees, back etc with the effort of peddling. Not worth it imo.

Put a cassette with a 34 on the back and you will be in a much happier place although if the climb is genuinely 20% it will always prove to be a pig.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
20%? How long does the 20% bit last?

Suck it and see. I know I couldn't get up a 20% climb on that ratio, but there are plenty of posters above (much fitter than me obvs) who don't regard it as a problem. Depends on you.

You can always walk that bit. Or maybe redesign your route.

If I were you I'd be doing sums and looking up derailleur capacities to see if I could fit different cassette with a bigger largest sprocket (whispers ... 34T) But I'm not you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom