50-34 crankset 12-28 Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
34*28 combo could be absolutely killer if he's a big rider, unfit and the climb is 100yds at 20%

He needs to try it

PS tell us the hill in question?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
If you can't get up the hill on 24/28 keep fitting and re-fitting lower gears until you can.

That's how cycling works for me.
Exactly, I class correct gearing, when I can stay seated up an alpine pass at a cadence of 80rpm

I can't climb well, as I'm a bit heavy, so prefer1:1 or lower, so on one bike I run 26:32 and the other 34:42, so I'd say get a cassette with a lower gear so say a 11-32 he'll be damn near one to one (34:32), and if he's as poor as many of us (I can see you fit types shaking heads and fists!) he might have an easier time, and not give up, as I nearly did - then when he improves he can pop the current cassette back on.

OP
OP
C

Cjw1997

Regular
Hi everyone thanks for the replies. I am a beginner cyclist, been riding for about 3 weeks regularly after about a 5 year brea, im not too bad on the flat over the last 3 days i have completed 30 miles each day in approx 2 hours, but struggling going up hills due to being 6”3 an 220lbs. I am planning to lose weight while back exercising. I am thinking of purchasing a shimano tiagra 11-32 or 11-34 casette to help going up hills. And ideas on which would be best? Also can the new casette be fitted to the bike without any other alterations with the current bike also having a tiagra 12-28 casette. Thanks in adavnce 👍🏻

ChrisEyles

Guru
30 miles in around 2hrs is pretty good going already! Don't think you'll struggle too much at all with the hills after a bit more practice/conditioning.

Check the max sprocket size your rear derailleur can accommodate. If it can take a 34t I'd probably go with that, but there's not much in it.

Things to watch 1) you might need to add a couple of links to your chain length (maybe best to fit a new chain at the same time as the cassette), or it might not be long enough if you accidentally shift into the 50/34 combo, which could potentially cause pretty serious damage to the derailleur & chain 2) you may need to adjust the b limit screw on your derailleur to get the to pulley the correct distance from the 34t sprocket when in bottom gear (you tube is your friend).

Are you planning on doing the switch yourself (not too tricky but requires special tools and can take a while the first time you try it)?

OP
OP
C

Cjw1997

Regular
30 miles in around 2hrs is pretty good going already! Don't think you'll struggle too much at all with the hills after a bit more practice/conditioning.

Check the max sprocket size your rear derailleur can accommodate. If it can take a 34t I'd probably go with that, but there's not much in it.

Things to watch 1) you might need to add a couple of links to your chain length (maybe best to fit a new chain at the same time as the cassette), or it might not be long enough if you accidentally shift into the 50/34 combo, which could potentially cause pretty serious damage to the derailleur & chain 2) you may need to adjust the b limit screw on your derailleur to get the to pulley the correct distance from the 34t sprocket when in bottom gear (you tube is your friend).

Are you planning on doing the switch yourself (not too tricky but requires special tools and can take a while the first time you try it)?

my bike is a a merida scultura 300 and checking on the spec on their website it states the rear is a GS mid/long range which can accommodate a 34t. Yes i will do the swap myself with the aid of youtube haha

Ajax Bay

Guru
The bike is going to be used to commute to work which involves a 15-20% short climb.
As several others have asked, identify the climb for us. Having just got back on the bike I recommend you don't fiddle around with the setup until you've ridden it a bit. You can't fit a chainring any smaller than 34t. And you could go out and get a cassette with a larger sprocket, and fit a new chain at the same time (an inch link longer) but I expect you haven't got the tools for that. And it'd only be for a few yards on that hill - with your build you'll have plenty of (maybe short term) power, and getting up it is partly 'in the mind'.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi everyone thanks for the replies. I am a beginner cyclist, been riding for about 3 weeks regularly after about a 5 year brea, im not too bad on the flat over the last 3 days i have completed 30 miles each day in approx 2 hours, but struggling going up hills due to being 6”3 an 220lbs. I am planning to lose weight while back exercising. I am thinking of purchasing a shimano tiagra 11-32 or 11-34 casette to help going up hills. And ideas on which would be best? Also can the new casette be fitted to the bike without any other alterations with the current bike also having a tiagra 12-28 casette. Thanks in adavnce 👍🏻
If you're prime objective is to lose weight don't worry too much about climbing hills - unless your local geography demands it.

Get a rough idea of your fat burning zone and ride as often as possible at that point for two hours. You'll be surprised at the change. You might not actually lose weight but you'll shed fat and build muscle.

Don't forget to check your diet.

ChrisEyles

Guru
my bike is a a merida scultura 300 and checking on the spec on their website it states the rear is a GS mid/long range which can accommodate a 34t. Yes i will do the swap myself with the aid of youtube haha

Good for you :smile: if you don't already have them, you'll need a chain whip, cassette lock ring removal tool (and big spanner to grip it with) and a chain breaker.

You may find as you ride more that you don't need the lower gear as much as you thought you would. However I'd much rather carry around a lower gear and have it available when occasionally needed than not. And you can always swap the cassette out for a different one later down the line.

Top Bottom