50/34 vs 53/34

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I just saw a video of Alberto contador riding a 53/34t .

I've just fitted a 11-32t cassette because I am not Alberto contador!

I have a standard compact 50/34t fitted.

My question is what would the pros and cons be for me if I changed to a 53/34t but kept my casette ratio unchanged?

I have a long cage rear mech fitted.

On the flats and downhills I am very quickly looking for the next step up, but I am much happier on the climbs with my new cassette. I'm just wondering if I could squeeze more speed on the flats but keep the easier life on the climbs the cassette gives me.

Would it need new chain and cassette at same time??

the_mikey

Legendary Member
As long as the rear mech can handle the difference between 34/11 and 53/32 (not that you'll want to use that but it'll save a broken rear mech/hanger should it occur) that's a mighty 40 tooth difference for your derailleur to accommodate.... :ohmy:

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
There's a good reason why the vendors don't sell that ratio, as mentioned above, shifting up can jam due to the large jump. Alberto's Pro mechanic may have made special modifications to the mech to allow for this.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

that was my concern....but he seemed to just fly and although thats 90% because of who he is i just wondered if there was any advantage to be had for me ....so...it's back to less weight and more power again huh ? Lol!

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I seem to recall that it's not recommended to have more than a 16 tooth difference between chain rings.:unsure:
I'm running 52/36 and 32 - 11 on 11 speed Ultegra. Seems to cope with the hills around here and my old legs.:smile:

boydj

Legendary Member
How often do you spin out on the 50? Unless you are racing, I'd guess it's not very often and even then only on big downhills where tucking in and freewheeling would be just as fast.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

How often do you spin out on the 50? Unless you are racing, I'd guess it's not very often and even then only on big downhills where tucking in and freewheeling would be just as fast.
fair point....I am 100 kilos and 6'4" so i do tend to fly down hills and on the flat i do sometimes look for the nextgear......but its really not such a big deal.....as like you say i do tuck in and evn sit on top tube a lot...im no racer though so i am happy with what i have, i was only wondering if it could be improved without to much hassle/cost etc

Sharky

Guru
53 to 34 is a big drop. I am not that keen on the drop from a 50 to 34, I always ending trying to shift front and rear at the same time to maintain a good gear.

Me too.

I find that the gears you want to ride in for the majority of the time is slap bang in the middle, so for ever it's one down, Two up etc. So very recently, I've made a radical upgrade.

Off with the front changer and off with the 34 and replaced it with a single 40!

The change is amazing. Just one lever to worry about and no rubbing of the front changer. At the back, I have a 26-13(9speed) and the smoothness of cadence is just like riding a SS, but with options to drop down or go up on the severe climbs and the gears I want to use for most of the time is right in the middle. And no temptation to bang it into a massive gear, which just makes you pedal slower, but falsely makes you think you are going quicker.

Anybody else gone to a single front chainring?
Keith

Top Bottom