1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 today!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by beanzontoast, 20 Jan 2008.

1. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

It's my 50th birthday today. (Sister-in law sent me a badge the size of a side plate to prove it). Mrs Beanz is just cooking a light chicken tikka and baked potato dinner for two as a quiet 'tv dinner' celebration meal - we ate out with the grown-up kids yesterday. While she's cooking, I've been pondering getting older and it seems to be resolving into plus and minus fashion...

Minus - Some of my old friends are retiring now. I can't see any way of me retiring before 65 when my pension from my old job kicks in. (Or is retirement a minus? How would I fill the time if I wasn't working? At least work keeps the mind alert!).

Plus - Some of those 'over 50' offers on tv will start applying to me. Minus - I have yet to identify a single one that's actually useful...

Minus - By 50, I've heard it said that who you are is pretty much who you are going to be. Plus - For fun I've set myself the aim during this year of doing 50 things I've never done before, not necessarily to do with cycling, but would be nice to include a few cycling-related. Things that don't cost a lot would be useful, as 2 kids at uni come first in the call on dosh.

So... suggestions welcome! :eek:

2. So -you are nearly a 'has beanz' then! Congratulationisms on your birthday. :tongue:Have one for me. :eek: (Depending...)

3. 1) Visit a CycleChat member by cycling there.(Check bonj's 'mappa mund(i)ane')
    2) Paint a picture or a portrait - either of the 'curry chef' (:tongue:) or yourself in a mirror...
    3) Keep the newspaper of today.
    4) Always try and beat your lethargy when it comes to getting on your bike.:eek: (in the rain particularly)
    5) I'll be 53 sometime this week :biggrin: - make sure you don't get either 'bleeding heart lib'. or 'grouchy'. Be ultra positive - beanz meanz business!
    6) I know the uni bit - my son has declared that he will be off to Fiji, Australia, Texas etc etc and then start a job on more money than I have ever been offered in my life... but I'll still be his Dad.:ohmy: So congratulations - 'Dad'
    7) I was nosing in the gallery and I noticed that peeps were getting bikes for their 40th birthday presents :ohmy: Now, by reasonable deduction, something involving 50 - or even 53 teeth might be in order - new of course!!!:tongue: (And attached to a bike preferably;))
    8) Add pinches of salt as appropriate :smile:

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Find the steepest hill you can and hit 50MPH down it!

5. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

-Many happy returns, by the way. Heading that way meself - is it ok over there?

6. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Hi Dave - if you mean, how is it here in Derby - not raining now (at last), wind has died down (at last), not really cold.

If you mean you are heading towards 50, I'll tell you later! :eek:

7. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Great list, Ap. :smile:
    I've just re-entered the world of DSLR (Sony A100 double lens kit - bought by recycling kit from one hobby to pay for another!) and have a hankering to make one of the 50 things doing a '365' - where you take one photo that must include yourself in some way every day for a year. Someone on The Genius of Photography said he took photos all the time because by doing so he remembered all the events in his life more clearly - if I recall, he went as far as saying he only really remembered those things he photographed.

Thought it might make an interesting exercise?

8. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I was talking about 50 - I avoid Derby when I can as it costs a lot in petrol driving round and round and round and round the ring road.

ANyway, you only usually get the weather when we've finished with it. :eek:

9. bobg

bobg Über Member

Congrats Beanzon.
    You'll start getting those bloody requests for subscription to the Saga magazine soon. They've been harassing me for years. I even picked one up in the dentist the other week and found it quite interesting! Aarrgh
    ( as somebody once said "if I knew I was going to last this long I'd have looked after my teeth better" )

10. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

The possibility of me developing this trend in 'older interest' magazine subscriptions has worried me for some years. I've already told Mrs B to take my wallet off me if I ever show signs of saying I want to buy magazines to do with
    a) canal boats
    :ohmy: visiting country houses and gardens
    c) building any model that comes in 150 weekly parts, whether from matchsticks or not

:eek:

11. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Happy Birthday Beanz :eek:

12. bobg

bobg Über Member

Oh -oh.... I rather fancy a canal boat + I just bought a lathe and the plans for a steam engine ..... very perceptive of you:blush:
    Those ladies with the blue rinses selling life insurance on afternoon telly are quite ta:biggrin:sty too

13. OP
    OP
    beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Best cut my credit cards up too then! :eek::ohmy:

14. longers

longers Veteran

Many Happy Returns :eek:.

15. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Happy birthday old bean(z).