50 today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's my 50th birthday today. (Sister-in law sent me a badge the size of a side plate to prove it). Mrs Beanz is just cooking a light chicken tikka and baked potato dinner for two as a quiet 'tv dinner' celebration meal - we ate out with the grown-up kids yesterday. While she's cooking, I've been pondering getting older and it seems to be resolving into plus and minus fashion...

Minus - Some of my old friends are retiring now. I can't see any way of me retiring before 65 when my pension from my old job kicks in. (Or is retirement a minus? How would I fill the time if I wasn't working? At least work keeps the mind alert!).

Plus - Some of those 'over 50' offers on tv will start applying to me. Minus - I have yet to identify a single one that's actually useful...

Minus - By 50, I've heard it said that who you are is pretty much who you are going to be. Plus - For fun I've set myself the aim during this year of doing 50 things I've never done before, not necessarily to do with cycling, but would be nice to include a few cycling-related. Things that don't cost a lot would be useful, as 2 kids at uni come first in the call on dosh.

So... suggestions welcome! :eek:

So -you are nearly a 'has beanz' then! Congratulationisms on your birthday. :tongue:Have one for me. :eek: (Depending...)

1) Visit a CycleChat member by cycling there.(Check bonj's 'mappa mund(i)ane')
2) Paint a picture or a portrait - either of the 'curry chef' (:tongue:) or yourself in a mirror...
3) Keep the newspaper of today.
4) Always try and beat your lethargy when it comes to getting on your bike.:eek: (in the rain particularly)
5) I'll be 53 sometime this week :biggrin: - make sure you don't get either 'bleeding heart lib'. or 'grouchy'. Be ultra positive - beanz meanz business!
6) I know the uni bit - my son has declared that he will be off to Fiji, Australia, Texas etc etc and then start a job on more money than I have ever been offered in my life... but I'll still be his Dad.:ohmy: So congratulations - 'Dad'
7) I was nosing in the gallery and I noticed that peeps were getting bikes for their 40th birthday presents :ohmy: Now, by reasonable deduction, something involving 50 - or even 53 teeth might be in order - new of course!!!:tongue: (And attached to a bike preferably;))
8) Add pinches of salt as appropriate :smile:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Dave5N said:
-Many happy returns, by the way. Heading that way meself - is it ok over there?

Hi Dave - if you mean, how is it here in Derby - not raining now (at last), wind has died down (at last), not really cold.

If you mean you are heading towards 50, I'll tell you later! :eek:

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Aperitif said:
1) Visit a CycleChat member by cycling there.(Check bonj's 'mappa mund(i)ane')
2) Paint a picture or a portrait - either of the 'curry chef' (:tongue:) or yourself in a mirror...
3) Keep the newspaper of today.
4) Always try and beat your lethargy when it comes to getting on your bike.:eek: (in the rain particularly)
5) I'll be 53 sometime this week :biggrin: - make sure you don't get either 'bleeding heart lib'. or 'grouchy'. Be ultra positive - beanz meanz business!
6) I know the uni bit - my son has declared that he will be off to Fiji, Australia, Texas etc etc and then start a job on more money than I have ever been offered in my life... but I'll still be his Dad.:ohmy: So congratulations - 'Dad'
7) I was nosing in the gallery and I noticed that peeps were getting bikes for their 40th birthday presents :ohmy: Now, by reasonable deduction, something involving 50 - or even 53 teeth might be in order - new of course!!!:tongue: (And attached to a bike preferably;))
8) Add pinches of salt as appropriate :smile:

Great list, Ap. :smile:
I've just re-entered the world of DSLR (Sony A100 double lens kit - bought by recycling kit from one hobby to pay for another!) and have a hankering to make one of the 50 things doing a '365' - where you take one photo that must include yourself in some way every day for a year. Someone on The Genius of Photography said he took photos all the time because by doing so he remembered all the events in his life more clearly - if I recall, he went as far as saying he only really remembered those things he photographed.

Thought it might make an interesting exercise?

Dave5N

Über Member
I was talking about 50 - I avoid Derby when I can as it costs a lot in petrol driving round and round and round and round the ring road.

ANyway, you only usually get the weather when we've finished with it. :eek:

bobg

Über Member
Congrats Beanzon.
You'll start getting those bloody requests for subscription to the Saga magazine soon. They've been harassing me for years. I even picked one up in the dentist the other week and found it quite interesting! Aarrgh
( as somebody once said "if I knew I was going to last this long I'd have looked after my teeth better" )

OP
OP
beanzontoast
bobg said:
Congrats Beanzon.
You'll start getting those bloody requests for subscription to the Saga magazine soon. They've been harassing me for years. I even picked one up in the dentist the other week and found it quite interesting! Aarrgh
( as somebody once said "if I knew I was going to last this long I'd have looked after my teeth better" )

The possibility of me developing this trend in 'older interest' magazine subscriptions has worried me for some years. I've already told Mrs B to take my wallet off me if I ever show signs of saying I want to buy magazines to do with
a) canal boats
:ohmy: visiting country houses and gardens
c) building any model that comes in 150 weekly parts, whether from matchsticks or not

:eek:

bobg

Über Member
beanzontoast said:
The possibility of me developing this trend in 'older interest' magazine subscriptions has worried me for some years. I've already told Mrs B to take my wallet off me if I ever show signs of saying I want to buy magazines to do with
a) canal boats
:eek: visiting country houses and gardens
c) building any model that comes in 150 weekly parts, whether from matchsticks or not
Oh -oh.... I rather fancy a canal boat + I just bought a lathe and the plans for a steam engine ..... very perceptive of you:blush:
Those ladies with the blue rinses selling life insurance on afternoon telly are quite ta:biggrin:sty too

OP
OP
beanzontoast
bobg said:
Oh -oh.... I rather fancy a canal boat + I just bought a lathe and the plans for a steam engine ..... very perceptive of you:blush:
Those ladies with the blue rinses selling life insurance on afternoon telly are quite ta:biggrin:sty too

Best cut my credit cards up too then! :eek::ohmy:

Top Bottom