50 years ago today. Can you remember it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just thought i'd mention it on here and not the football thread as some CCers might remember it but not be into football.:cheers:
England-team-at-Wembley-Stadium-in-London-30th-July-1966.jpg

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
No.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
No (I wasn't born at the time), but we have all had it shoved down our throats over the interviening 50 years, if we want it or not. :rolleyes:

'50 years of pain'?

Aye to the rest of us who couldn't give a sh*t, but who have to endure it at every bloody World Cup or Euro Tournament where England so *clearly* have it all won before it has even started, will only have to turn up for the Coronation, the world will be overjoyed, world peace will ensue, the tabloids will go into meltdown for several weeks, the winning team will henceforth travel about in a fleet of personalised Spitfires, Gary Lineker will dance naked with the Queen down Oxford street and it will all be seen as a triumphant bookend to 1966, Hurrah!!

Now, if you don't mind, I need to get on with writing my shopping list for my visit to Iceland in the morning.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes. It was the last time I was interested in football!

Not that I would have remembered that it was half a century ago if I had not read the posts above.

Mrs M

Guru
No, but we have all had it shoved down our throats ever since, if we want it or not. :rolleyes:

'50 years of pain'?

Aye to the rest of us who couldn't give a sh*t, but who have to endure it at every bloody World Cup or Euro Tournament where England so *clearly* have it all won before it has even started, will only have to turn up for the Coronation, the world will be overjoyed, world peace will ensue, the tabloids will go into meltdown for several weeks, the winning team will henceforth travel about in a fleet of personalised Spitfires, Gary Lineker will dance naked with the Queen down Oxford street and it will all be seen as a triumphant bookend to 19 bloody 66!

Now, if you don't mind, I need to get on with writing my shopping list for my visit to Iceland in the morning.
:laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I recall the final vividly to the extent I can describe our lounge and where everyone sat. I was 12. I know my younger sister must have been there but have no memory of that.

Mum and Dad had no interest in football but watched. My uncle, grandfather - both avid football fans - and grandmother, no interest, came round as we had a telly.

My other abiding memory is getting a World Cup winners first day cover at the post office from Mr Oxtoby - he kept some back for village people he knew well. Still have it somewhere.

stephec

Legendary Member
I recall the final vividly to the extent I can describe our lounge and where everyone sat. I was 12. I know my younger sister must have been there but have no memory of that.

Mum and Dad had no interest in football but watched. My uncle, grandfather - both avid football fans - and grandmother, no interest, came round as we had a telly.

My other abiding memory is getting a World Cup winners first day cover at the post office from Mr Oxtoby - he kept some back for village people he knew well. Still have it somewhere.
A local first day cover for local people?

Top Bottom