50 years ago today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
TV didn't start in the morning til nearly 10am.

Radio would all be gone by midnight, leaving only the pirates, Luxembourg, or Radio Moscow to keep us night owls occupied. Jeez, who'd have been a security guard back then?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
A red On The Buses bus.
View attachment 359768

Mmm,very confusing.:scratch:
Edd China's let himself go...

Levo-Lon

Guru
Think we had our first colour tv around 74 ..tho my dad had 40 employees and a good business..

I remember the rich kid in our class getting the first vcr..around 1980..£1000 !!! . My sister was on £20 a week hairdressing

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I once had a job selling things door to door that you fitted to the front of the TV which were supposed to turn a B&W picture into a colour one. As you would expect they were complete rubbish, but I did talk a few people into buying one.

That was just after the job selling central heating, where the firm's printed literature told us not to take orders from blacks or Asians as the finance company wouldn't touch them. Try that today!

The "Good old days" people often hanker after were truely crap.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I was surprised to find that the Buses on On The Buses were green,
I always thought London buses were red.

A red On The Buses bus.
Mmm,very confusing.:scratch:

It wasn't actually London though was it? The buses had "Luxton & District" on the side.

The buses were green in the TV show*, but red in the films. No idea why.

* - actually the first series or two were filmed in black and white, so I'm just assuming that the buses were green...;)

One of our neighbours when I was a kid got the only colour telly in our street in 1974. They didn't mix much and had no kids, their house got invaded by the whole street for the Liverpool v Newcastle FA Cup final. They moved soon after!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If I remember correctly it was like this, didn't have a colour one untill 1972 / 1973

View attachment 359794

We had a similar set,though the tuning dials were on the top with a shut down lid. My mum and dad got it for a wedding present in 1956. It was still in use up till about 1982( I watched "Beefy Botham" hit the Aussies all over in 1981,on it)as a second telly in the house. I had it in my bedroom with a wire coat hanger for an aerial. Imagine youngsters these days having something like that in their bedroom.:rolleyes:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My dad worked for Rank, who at the time made televisions, so he got a good deal on them and we always had a colour set as far as I can remember.

I've got an early memory of all the family coming round to ours to watch Princess Anne get married to Captain Mark Phillips on our fancy 26 inch colour telly :laugh:

Last edited:
Think we had our first colour tv around 74 ..tho my dad had 40 employees and a good business..

I remember the rich kid in our class getting the first vcr..around 1980..£1000 !!! . My sister was on £20 a week hairdressing

Betamax of VHS

We were near a number of USAF bases, and had access to a wide number of titles in Betamax, so we went for that.

Quality of both machine and picture was better than VHS

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

We had a vcr at secondary school in the mid 70's. The teacher would wheel the heavy thing out on a table with castor wheels,for our science lesson. He kept telling us to be very careful around it as it cost a fortune out of the school's budget. The videos seemed huge,probably about the size of a big book. This is the program we saw most on that vcr.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzKQJXhTUC0

rualexander

Legendary Member
First time I saw a colour telly was in a hotel in Crieff,not where we were staying though so only watched it for about 5 minutes, we were on family holiday (1970 maybe) when I was around 8. The news was on and there was a bridge on fire somewhere which looked amazing in colour, which is why I remember it.
We got our first colour telly at Christmas in 1975, it was a massive 26" beast with doors to cover the screen when it wasn't being watched.

Top Bottom