50p 5p 50p 5p 50p 5p

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A little while ago (whilst driving a car) I lost my rag with a motorcyclist who was ... for want of a better expression.... playing silly buggers.
Stupid of me to lose my temper with anyone, but motorcyclist turned out to be off-duty plod, and I was the one prosecuted.

In a "your word against mine" situation the courts will often take the word of the policeman.....even in the face of contradictory evidence. I mean - how does a Kawaski Ninja, which the rider claims to mave been riding at 25 mph on a dual carriageway (really?) catch up with a car travelling at 40 mph.???

Whilst I've no reason to doubt Vike's account - please remember there are two sides to every story....innocent until proven guilty...etc.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Absolutely - you need a drivecam innit.

gbb

Legendary Member
What Vike says about Cambs police taking it seriously (even if you're not a policeman) is true (IME)
Not cycling related but i had a 'moment' on a garage forecourt with some silly bugger going too fast right past the main doors, nearly took me out.
We (i) had words and it got a bit nasty, so i reported it to Peterborough police. They took it very seriously indeed and i can't fault them.

I guess we all 'assume' sometimes the local police arent interested....but thats an assumption. Until you try it, you dont know.

Davidc

Guru
Nice to hear actions being taken. I think a lot depends on the individual police officer as well as which force, and for those of us not part of the force on evidence or witness information being provided.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Every report that is taken seriously is one more for the statistics... and may make the rest of the police force realise that we want bad driving to be taken seriously before it gets to the point where someone is injured. It might even change that driver's driving for the bettter... not so convinced on that one.

Vikeonabike said:
....on the other side of the keep left bollards....
Do you mean he passed the KEEP LEFT sign on the wrong side? I've seen motorists do that in London, but not elsewhere. Compounds the sin and adds weight to the intended prosecution, methinks.

And well done for keeping your cool and getting the details. But then, I suppose that's exactly what you guys are trained to do. And were you identifiable as one of the Police at the time (e.g. was the word POLICE written across your hi-viz)? If so, and if the driver saw you, sounds like he was a total p***ock!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
661-Pete said:
Do you mean he passed the KEEP LEFT sign on the wrong side? I've seen motorists do that in London, but not elsewhere.

Well I've seen them do it in Bristol on more than one occasion too.

Vikeonabike said:
... my bottom hole was going 50p,5p,50p,5p...and I was furious.......I don't like being scared lunless I choose to be scared!

It used to be sixpence two bob in my day!

50p just conquers up the wrong-shaped ring-piece! ;)

paddy01

summerdays said:
Well I've seen them do it in Bristol on more than one occasion too.

I was stationary in a queue of traffic once (in the car), another car shot up the outside, went the wrong side of a keep left bollard and then the wrong way round a mini mini round-about.

Presumably to save time rather than sitting behind the queue that was waiting to turn left at the mini-roundabout and was held up by a level crossing.

In retrospect the plod car sitting in a small turning right by the mini-roundabout must have turned out to be a hell of an inconvenience ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
661-Pete said:
Do you mean he passed the KEEP LEFT sign on the wrong side? I've seen motorists do that in London, but not elsewhere. Compounds the sin and adds weight to the intended prosecution, methinks.

We often see it when we're out in the electric truck (rather slow), esp on the road through the University where they can't get by between the numerous traffic islands.

One day, a student crossing will only be looking the right way...:smile:

Fortunately, we won't have to go up there for much longer.

GrasB

Veteran
So many people around here habitually go to the right of the island before the pinch point with a keep left sign on it. The reason is it forces the person with priority to give way as they have no where to go. :smile:

Jaguar

martynjc1977 said:
... some officers don't take the general cycling public seriously.
Some?

gbb said:
I guess we all 'assume' sometimes the local police arent interested....but thats an assumption. Until you try it, you dont know.
how many times do you have to try to report an incident before you are allowed to assume that the police really aren't interested? (I'm at about 20 incidents/crashes and counting)

Top Bottom