50th Anniversary this coming Monday. Anyone know what it is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
50 years ago on Monday, we switched from LSD to £ and pence with nothing in between. The big D-Day! I was only 12 so well able to make the arithmetical switch in my mind but of course, the Spitfire and White Cliffs of Dover brigade still think everything doubled in cost overnight!

I worked on the switch.
Banks shut for two days.
If anyone can remember £.s.d they will be very glad we did switch.

Drago

Legendary Member
No one ever claimed to have a problem with pre decimal money prior to the switch. I was most upset that the Groat and the Bushell were no longer legal tender. Even worse, I missed the deadline to have a bucket load of dung converted to decimal money.

Brandane

Legendary Member
No one ever claimed to have a problem with pre decimal money prior to the switch. I was most upset that the Groat and the Bushell were no longer legal tender. Even worse, I missed the deadline to have a bucket load of dung converted to decimal money.
*cough* If you are the age you have claimed to be previously on this forum, then you weren't around in February 1971. Or at best you were still crawling around in nappies! Or was that you collecting the bucket load of dung of which you speak?

On the topic of money....
Did you know that the Scottish banknotes often seen circulating especially in Northern England are not legal tender and have no value at all, apart from the paper they are printed on.

Brandane

Legendary Member
50 years eh? Is it about time I sold these and retired to my yacht in the Caribbean then?

Drago

Legendary Member
*cough* If you are the age you have claimed to be previously on this forum, then you weren't around in February 1971. Or at best you were still crawling around in nappies! Or was that you collecting the bucket load of dung of which you speak?
I'm a child of the 60's. I joined the Army as an adult in '87, so you can work it out.

That said, I wasn't terribly old in '71, but was well and truly walking...although I wasnt out of nappies until 1984.

On the topic of money....
Did you know that the Scottish banknotes often seen circulating especially in Northern England are not legal tender and have no value at all, apart from the paper they are printed on.

A few years back I sold a motorbike and the chap turned up with a fistful of Scottish banknotes. I wasn't impressed, but a quick call to the local branch of my bank (Halifax) revealed thst while they weren't legal tender in england they would be happy to take it and pay the sum into my account, and they did.

So, while it may not be legal tender down here with the sassenachs they are most assuredly worth a lot more than the paper (technically a type of cloth) they are printed on.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm a child of the 60's. I joined the Army as an adult in '87, so you can work it out.

That said, I wasn't terribly old in '71, but was well and truly walking...although I wasnt out of nappies until 1984.

A few years back I sold a motorbike and the chap turned up with a fistful of Scottish banknotes. I wasn't impressed, but a quick call to the local branch of my bank (Halifax) revealed thst while they weren't legal tender in england they would be happy to take it and pay the sum into my account, and they did.

So, while it may not be legal tender down here with the sassenachs they are most assuredly worth a lot more than the paper (technically a type of cloth) they are printed on.
Thought they were now "plastic".

Top Bottom