52 Cafes in 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Café 37: The Cake Kitchen, Uppermill

First stop of two planned for today. This is a new café with large cake slices - I chose the smallest. Lots of space inside as well.

Friendly staff. Coffee and cake for £6.45

PXL_20230709_094159103.jpg

DCLane

Café 38: Holme Town Café, Holmfirth

Second stop of the day - I've a planned rendezvous with son no. 2 who's off in the hills somewhere. I've been shifting and am an hour early, so had time to spare.

This is recently opened on a prime site. Moderately busy and quite disorganised - food but no drink or cutlery. Had to remind them, as did others waiting for parts of their order

Toastie and a coffee for £9.95 -OK but there are far better places in the town.

PXL_20230709_112005886.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Café 39: Coffee Revolution (Revs), Castleford

Not where I'd planned to stop, but that was unexpectedly closed. However, on my route back I found two newly-opened places that'll get added to the 'to visit' list.

Decent coffee, a simple toasted teacake with jam and chatty ladies serving for £5.45

PXL_20230712_092728454.jpg

DCLane

Blimey. So you ever eat at home DC?

You should work for the Michelin guide with all the reviews. 👍

The one above was one of three stops today as well, just the only one on a bike. The others were in Lincoln and Workshop visiting son no. 1.

I do eat at home, but probably equally as much out. Given I mostly work from home it helps get me out of the house since SWMBO is in one of her three hospitals that she works for most days/evenings.

Last edited:

DCLane

Still just me, and one from last Thursday

Café 40: The Lodge in the Vale, near Ambleside/Keswick

PXL_20230803_123247899.jpg

We were out testing this year's national hillclimb course up The Struggle before heading to Glasgow for the World Cycling at the velodrome and stopped here. A chunky ham & cheese panini which I should have photographed earlier and a coffee for about £7 ...

PXL_20230803_123239067.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Café 42: The Bakers Shop, Ossett

I thought the above plus Cafe Vie were the same; they both had outdoor seats, the same design, etc. But they aren't. So I ended up in 'The Bakers Shop' for a panini and coffee costing £4.70. I'll be back to Cafe Vie when I've more cash and am hungrier!

PXL_20230816_121956377.jpg

Sat outside because that was where their seating was.

DCLane

Still just me? Well I'm continuing to 52 anyway ...

Café 43: Fenton Café & Grill, East Leeds Airport, Church Fenton

This has a decent reputation but I'd not been here since son no. 2 was there for 'Young Driver' sessions at 16, two-three years ago. Coffee & cake for £6.90 so it's not cheap but you're surrounded by expensive cars and planes. There's an entry gate to get onto the site but they're polite & friendly.

PXL_20230818_090820924.jpg

And some planes plus a helicopter:

PXL_20230818_094559405.jpg

DCLane

Café 44: Methley Bridge Farm Shop, Castleford

Been trying to get here for a while but they always seem closed. I was passing so decided to stop; too cold for an ice cream so a sneaky cake with coffee for £4.50. There's no inside seating, despite being mostly a café with farm shop 'tucked on' but lots of outside benches.

PXL_20230818_104858075.jpg

DCLane

Today was a 100-mile ride to Pocklington and back with my club. There were six riding to Hornsea but I'm a bit short on miles, and missed the club's 100-in-8 GHS Pocklington ride in April due to illness, so joined them to their part-way stop and rode back solo.

Café 45: The Hide, Pocklington

The only place open at 9am on a Sunday, with others opening later, they were very busy but handled orders very efficiently. I was hungry, so ate the cake and sausage/tomato sandwich with coffee for £10 quickly. However, the rider opposite had the same so you've his beard and sandwich instead. And yes, he's got a pink beard and had ridden on the front most of the way out at a 24-25mph pace :heat: :

PXL_20230820_085421362.jpg

Café 46: The Maltings Tea Rooms, South Milford.

This one's been recommended a lot but I'd never been. Giant cake slices - I only ate half and brought the rest home - with a brownie and coffee costing just £4.50. Friendly, quick service, very good value; what's not to like?

PXL_20230820_110653168.jpg

DCLane

Café 48: Magic Wood Café, TransPennine Trail near Dunford Bridge.

This is on the TransPennine Trail between Millhouse Green and Dunford Bridge, by the Magic Wood. If you can't find it, ask the fairies.

Outside seating only but with some covered areas and bike parking. Lovely soft sausage sandwich, a Tunnocks wafer plus a coffee for £6.20. It's only open limited hours with a limited menu but well worth a visit if you're nearby and don't want the more expensive Bank View Café at Langsett (which I've not visited yet this year).

PXL_20230824_100106757.jpg

The legs then gave up about six miles from home so I stopped ...

Café 49: Mardy Crumb, Mirfield

One from last year but the other two local café's I've not visited don't have somewhere to put a bike, even an outside table. And I don't usually carry a lock.

Scone with jam plus coffee for £5.25 and a smile to boot. Not 'mardy' then! There's a reason why it's the café of choice for my club's ladies' section.

PXL_20230824_115811505.jpg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I came across a great place yesterday. I was actually out walking rather than cycling (doing the "Dragon's back" walk). The Chapel tea room in Hollinsclough, about 5 miles south of Buxton. Can't miss it, Hollinsclough is tiny. Only open Weekends and Bank Hols (9am - 5pm), but the spread of cakes and savouries was superb. Sorry no pics. It's great cycling country round there (if you can cope with the hills). There was a couple celebrating their 58th wedding anniversary and they had ordered afternoon tea. The selection of food looked fantastic, probably the best one I've ever seen.

A little way away there's also a shack with an honesty box where you can get cake, coffees, teas and ice creams.

Jameshow

Veteran
Weir cafe inland end of Bude canal.

Coffee decent, millionaires shortbread weird wait had dark chocolate on top. £7.

Food menu looked tempting but it was only 11am.

IMG-20230829-WA0000.jpeg

Top Bottom