531 Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
About a week ago I was lucky enough to score a steel bike frame at the recycling center

IMG_20230623_144939.jpg

Here's my last road bike! I sold this one and stayed off road for the best part of two years after a very sketchy tour of Italy during the floods of 2019.

IMG_20230702_095510.jpg

So, I'm in the process of building the new frame up, here it is so far. I'm waiting on parts and might fit a longer stem when it arrives. Drop bars are in the post, as is a crankset.

16882888288712232334229450848997.jpg

I'm building it to comfortably take on longer rides with a 2x10 speed 11-28 cassette + 46/34t Crankset.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
A little update. Things are going painfully slowly. Drop bars ordered 8 days ago have been delivered to the wrong address and I've received someone else's Sram disk brakes!

The Sakae Modolo bars that I really, really want to fit are also lost in some Royal Mail warehouse!

I haven't fitted the Stronglight Impact Crankset and in the meantime a 105 Hollowtech one has arrived. I'm debating swapping chainrings around and going with the 105. The mission was never to build the fastest bike however, so I'm still undecided on that.

I had a nice Fizik saddle in my sights, the auction was in its final minutes when I was called outside to rescue a baby bird. The bird is safe, the saddle got away for under £6.00

I've bought a new Fizik Antares R7 saddle (as yet unfitted) that looks the part and seemed cheapish at £20

105 brakes, 105 shifters, cables, tape, pedals, mechs, tubeless sealant, chain and cassette are all waiting to go on. In the meantime there's one small dent, which I might attempt to fix with some 2 part wood filler and nail polish.

If the bars arrive before the weekend there should be some progress or even a working bicycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Snag #1 Found the chain and promptly lost the quick link in the grass. Spent an hour crawling around with scissors and magnets, doh!

Snag #2 the build is being held up. I need to get some downtube cable stops. In the meantime I've bodged something together, which I hope will suffice :blush:

IMG_20230709_105627.jpg

IMG_20230709_110442.jpg

Slick huh?

With that sorted, there's no reason why this should take all day :laugh:

GuyBoden

Guru
That's a large bike frame, with a very low saddle, but at least the handle bars can be higher. :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
The bike's 60cm, I'm 6ft, not a bad fit with the seat down.

I've ordered cable stops and hope to get the last snags sorted this week.

All my bikes are 60cm, I'm over 6ft, but they don't seem to look as large as your frame.

Are you using seat tube c-t or c-c measurement?
Seat Tube Measurement.png

Here's a pic of my 60cm c-t Seat tube Look for comparison.
look-driveside-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Screenshot_20230715_084316.jpg

Just a case of fitting this now (I hope). Maybe something that can get done over the weekend. I'm hoping / assuming barrel adjusters can be used with this, otherwise adjusting the front mech is going to be a real pig.

Top Bottom