6.3 miles in 23 mins??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam23

similar time to me on my commute to work, mine is 6.5 miles and most days its 24 mins best is 20 mins, this is on my mountain bike but flat all the way.
i am normaly sweating like mad and knackered lol, so if yours is hilly then good going mate keep it up.

adam

screenman

Legendary Member
You mention 3 hills, nobody has asked if you are going up them or down.

Johnny Fox

Mine, according to the computer is 8.7 miles, Stoke on Trent area (Adderley Green to Chesterton) so a few steep hills during the route) :wacko:
Going in at 6am it takes 33 mins
Comming home at 5pm it takes an extra 5 mins on average (35 to 38 depenting on traffic) also more up hills :sad:

I seem to average 15 mph.

Ah, but how big is big? One mans big hill is another mans bump. We need your route with elevation information before we can tell if your Lance or Lanterne.....:smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
If you've got hills then you've got downhills, just take the total time for the round trip and not one way. Anything over 15mph is good, there's not many manage over a 20mph average on a commute, depends how much gear you carry and what bike you ride.

I'd only be concerned if that sort of distance was taking me more than 60 mins for the round trip....then I'd think I was slacking or getting unfit

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

thanks to all for replying......as for "why the rush" its toget to work on time, and to try and get my quickest time, its very quiet on my roads to work, the 3 big hills are going up.
i enjoy my commute, when i get to worki aint out of breath at all, but i feel really fresh.
i'm aiming for 20 minute's but i dont think that will be posible, i would have to have an average of 20mph, but maybe oneday lol

Andrew_P

In between here and there
15 miles for me, best time is 54 minutes, probably average 58. On a flat bar hybrid

Climb 290ft and Descend 270ft.

BUT

Since I stopped time trialling it has become so much more enjoyable, maybe one in 5 now I try my hardest to put in a good time. I found that by Friday my legs were getting pretty tired and stiff and my willpower not to use the car weaker.

My time when I take it easy is a few minutes over the hour, so it hardly costs me anything in time but a whole lot in energy!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
With three big hills I would say that it is very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Depends if they were all downhill  :tongue:

BinBag

thanks to all for replying......as for "why the rush" its toget to work on time, and to try and get my quickest time, its very quiet on my roads to work, the 3 big hills are going up.
i enjoy my commute, when i get to worki aint out of breath at all, but i feel really fresh.
i'm aiming for 20 minute's but i dont think that will be posible, i would have to have an average of 20mph, but maybe oneday lol

6 miles at 23 mins is 15.65mph - which going up hill is good although it does depend (for me) on your start altitude and finish altitude, your weight and your bike's weight - I keep daily stats of my times and look for improvment areas for each journey I make (not just commutes). In fact, loads of things come into play - weather, your morale etc etc.

It depends also on how much you want to analylse it ('anal' being the ironic word here!) - I'm a geek, so have kept in depth stats since the day I bought my first MTB last year on 3rd July 2009 - a hybrid later, and now I'm on a road bike. I've increased my overall avergae from 13.72mph to 16.99mph.

But my message here is that if you want to improve your times, you need a baseline in which to do it.

Norm

6 miles at 23 mins is 15.65mph
If you are going to get anal (and doing it to 2 d.p. I reckon you are :tongue: ) then the OP said that it was 6.3 miles. No point in calculating it to that level of "accuracy" when you mis-read the question by 5%. :biggrin:

...so it hardly costs me anything in time but a whole lot in energy!
I wrote something similar about a month ago. My journey times are between 35 minutes (gentle and relaxed, barely sweating) and 30 minutes (unable to walk or talk for 5 minutes and wringing the sweat out of my clothes).

a_n_t

there's only so much you can do on a commute, too many "other factors"! Try a TT to really test yourself!

As a comparison, 6.3 miles in my quickest 10 mile TT would have taken 14:22 ;)

potsy

Rambler
there's only so much you can do on a commute, too many "other factors"! Try a TT to really test yourself!

That's just cruel a_n_t
laugh.gif

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

WOW....now that would be something for me lol.
i wouldnt mind doing a time trial....got me thinking now!!

Top Bottom