6 months on .......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charliesurf

Well I have been commuting for 6 months now, only 3 days per week but I think its enough to make me feel good about what I am doing. I started with my mountain bike then managed to get a deal on a Specialized Tricross Comp ( double chainset ....wheeze:blush:)

My fitness has increased and now I actually enjoy the commute rather than it being the chore that it started out to be. I travel from Dalgety Bay ( Fife) to Livingston. Its much quicker going home as more of the route seems to be downhill and its generally wind assisted. I have managed to get home in under 50 minutes. My quickets time coming into work is 1:00:55 :wacko:........... I am determined to break the 1 hour mark and I think it will happen soon. Its only about 17 miles each way but it feels longer.

Initially I used as much of the pavements and cycle paths that I could. It felt safer but slowed me down. So I use the main roads all of the way. I will revert back to the paths when the darker nights/mornings roll in.

With regard to the bike, I was concerned that a double chainset would leave me wishing I had another bike, but I am amazed that you quickly adapt to the gears that you have. I have not yet had to get off and push. There are not too many hills but if anyone knows the area ( Kirkliston ) is a tough climb for me. I read lots of reviews about the toe overlap and again thought what Have I let myself in for, but as some people said its a bit of a non issue. The fork judder is there but again its not really an issue. The brakes are ok as are the stock Borough tyres, no issues so far.

I am curios about what the winter holds and how many sessions I will actually manage, but the 1 hr mark must be broken :smile:

C

Well done charlie. Be carefull if you want to revert back to paths in the winter they'll be last things cleared/ gritted, I'd stay on road my self.

mds101

Nice to read a similar story to my own - I've kept at it for a couple of years now at a similar distance to yours. I haven't really pushed for breaking my records, aim is just to keep the riding going. Managed a lot of miles this year so pleased.
Winter...I tried going back to paths last year until I found that the council doesn't cut the hedges back in winter and nearly had my eye out. Stick to roads now.
I found that it is worth investing in some decent warm clothes...thermal bib tights and some warm socks and gloves, and good lights and you can get through most weather. And one of those funny headband tpe things that covers up your ears. Having said that, I'm lucky to have a train station in the village and when its really really wet and cold I can get a train and cut out 10 miles.

Top Bottom