6 speed Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
as it's recommended that you stop pedalling when changing the hub gear, and continue pedalling when changing the derailleur šŸ¤”

I must admit, I donā€™t stop pedalling totally but I do try and take the pressure off. Crystal Cranking I think GCN call it. Itā€™s enough to help the chain pusher work, but not prevent the hub from shifting.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I must admit, I donā€™t stop pedalling totally but I do try and take the pressure off. Crystal Cranking I think GCN call it. Itā€™s enough to help the chain pusher work, but not prevent the hub from shifting.
Mrs Tenkay is wont to use the excuse ā€œ I selected the wrong gearā€ after climbing off her Brommie on a hill šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m impressed that with the hub gears itā€™s the work of an instant to pause and change gear, even when almost at a standstill

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just another gear change observation. I had a significant birthday a couple of years back and treated myself to a CHPT3. I ā€œ blinged it up a bit ā€œ when I got lucky with a ballot place in the BWC.
One of the blingy bits was a KMC DLC chain in red and black to match the bike. Itā€™s an 11 speed chain and narrow. I fiddled around with the chain pusher and managed to get it to change on the derailleur, but changing up requires holding the lever in place until it engages.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mrs Tenkay is wont to use the excuse ā€œ I selected the wrong gearā€ after climbing off her Brommie on a hill šŸ˜‰
Iā€™m impressed that with the hub gears itā€™s the work of an instant to pause and change gear, even when almost at a standstill
The hub WILL change at standstill, thatā€™s the beauty of hub gears particularly for heavy traffic work.

Kell

Veteran
Yeah. Iā€™ve been caught out when thinking better of trying to make the lights.

You go for it, realise youā€™re not going to make it and have to slam the brakes on. In all the confusion, you end up in completely the wrong gear. Switching the hub gear down can be done at standstill, so itā€™s useful from that respect.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't think the Nexus hub was very reliable was it?
people like kinetics will fit you a SA 8 speed and a Alfine and all sorts of modifcations (i think he abandoned doing a nexus)
the aren't cheap, some require modified rear triangle to fit. weight and foldability are also an obstacle, hence the current 3 spd SA hub. its gives a decent enough range with or without the 2spd derailleur and is reasonably light and narrow enough to fit the brommie frame and very very reliable

straas

Matt
Since reading about the method of changing gears on here my Brompton experience has been even better! Previously I found the range using just the hub can be quite wide, but now it works really well with a shift on the derailleur too.

So handy to be able to change down on the hub when stationary aswell. At the moment, it's my favourite bike to travel about on.

I got a fold up north face bag and have used an arno strap to attach it under the seat. Handy when I unexpectedly pick something up whilst I'm out.

berlinonaut

Veteran
I don't think the Nexus hub was very reliable was it? (...) weight and foldability are also an obstacle,
The Nexus 8 premium conversion is done by Juliane Neuss in Germany on a regular basis by spreading the original rear frame and spacering down the hub along with a couple of other modifications. It has over the last ~20 years proven to be reliable and users are very satisfied with it. The general reliability of the Nexus is no secret as well: Issues are reported around the 20.000 km mark onwards while a relevant amount lasts massively longer. However, according to the manual the hubs do need maintainance from time to time which most users neglect - so it is not the hub alone that is causing issues plus many Brommis will barely reach the 20.000km mark anyway due to the riders not using them that intensively.

Weight is also no secret: The Nexus Premium conversion by Juliane adds around 1kg to the weight of the 6 speed, the S/A 8-speed conversion is around the same ball park.

Foldability is no issue with both conversions.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Ɯber Member
I don't think the Nexus hub was very reliable was it?
people like kinetics will fit you a SA 8 speed and a Alfine and all sorts of modifcations (i think he abandoned doing a nexus)
the aren't cheap, some require modified rear triangle to fit. weight and foldability are also an obstacle, hence the current 3 spd SA hub. its gives a decent enough range with or without the 2spd derailleur and is reasonably light and narrow enough to fit the brommie frame and very very reliable

Alfine hub was the bit that failed 1000km into Transcontinental Race for guy that was trying on a Brompton. I've wondered if he'd have been better off with standard 6 speed and a double chainset instead.

tinywheels

Ɯber Member
I have a six speed, its a feckin nightmare. on anything but small, or drawn out inclines it is struggling. I commute on mostly cycle paths around trip of eight miles per day.was out on a twenty two mile blast today and the hilly bits gave me grief as usual. Six speed but very limited in practice. Its designed for urban use,but being a weirdo I go all over the universe on it. Guess I just like a challenge
IMG-20210420-WA0002.jpeg

mitchibob

Ɯber Member
I have a six speed, its a feckin nightmare. on anything but small, or drawn out inclines it is struggling. I commute on mostly cycle paths around trip of eight miles per day.was out on a twenty two mile blast today and the hilly bits gave me grief as usual. Six speed but very limited in practice. Its designed for urban use,but being a weirdo I go all over the universe on it. Guess I just like a challenge View attachment 584980

I'd argue that the 2-speed or 3-speed are perfect urban use and the 6-speed is for everything. If the hills are giving you grief, maybe go for a smaller chainring? I pack the 44T if going to Wales or Lake District

Top Bottom