6 week service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
What does this involve?

Got a GT Traffic 1.0 and not used it enough to warrant having taken it anywhere for 6 week service. However, started using it again and I'm noticing noises coming from gears and some intermittent rub from brake discs. It's never been adjusted since new - what does the first service include and could I learn to do it myself?

vickster

Legendary Member
Normally cable adjustment, brakes and gears, check everything is all done up tightly

Most places will stretch that 6 weeks to 3 months or more

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Where did you buy it from?

If you are not confident to check and tweak the bike yourself then I would take it out for a decent ride then drop it off at the supplier and make sure you mention any things that are not running quite right so they can pay particular attention to these areas.

Have always done these checks myself as it is an ongoing process for any well used bike and IMO I do a better job than any bike shop due to having more time for finite small adjustments that really make the bike work really well instead of just work.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What does this involve?

Got a GT Traffic 1.0 and not used it enough to warrant having taken it anywhere for 6 week service. However, started using it again and I'm noticing noises coming from gears and some intermittent rub from brake discs. It's never been adjusted since new - what does the first service include and could I learn to do it myself?

Most of it you can learn to do yourself. For starters, go around all your Allen bolts and check that they're done up tight, that's the majority of a six week service but also they're looking to adjust gears and brakes for cable stretch. So next, any issues you have (rubbing brakes for example), do a YouTube search on how to adjust your brake model. Try it, you can't really cause any damage. If it's gear indexing noise, maybe see the shop the first time with specific instructions as Skol says, and they'll sort it. Usually though, most amateurs can check bolt tightening and can adjust a brake with a bit of online guidance.

It'll be a cable tension adjust, index check and adjust, brake cable tension check and adjust, general nut and bolt check and adjust, wheel true check and adjust, a clean and lube, advise on anything that's worn / needs replacing.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I was told by my LBS that you should have it done at 6-8 weeks regardless of how much you use it.

The advise on a few other bits were just as valuable as being told that my brakes were working correctly.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Besides it being sensible to do a check after a month or two, the vendor hopes that when you come in (twice - once to drop off, once to pick up) they can sell you more stuff. And why not?

keithmac

Guru
We still do 500 mile/ 6 month first service on the motorbikes.

Worth having someone check over and sort any niggles out for free..

D

Deleted member 1258

If you go down the DIY route beware something's might have a specified torque setting and you might need a torque wrench.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you go down the DIY route beware something's might have a specified torque setting and you might need a torque wrench.
I don't believe for one minute that a good and experienced bike mechanic will use a torque wrench for anything bike related unless they thought a particularly picky customer was watching or they were being tested for a professional qualification. Torque wrenches are for amateurs or really special stuff (like rockets and nuclear reactors) not bicycles.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't believe for one minute that a good and experienced bike mechanic will use a torque wrench for anything bike related unless they thought a particularly picky customer was watching or they were being tested for a professional qualification. Torque wrenches are for amateurs or really special stuff (like rockets and nuclear reactors) not bicycles.

I do my own maintenance I have two torque wrenches. I lot of fastenings on cycles have torque settings, its possible to do a lot of damage by over tightening things, especially on carbon fibre bikes where its possible to crush things with to much force.

http://bicycletutor.com/torque-specifications/

Top Bottom