62 Cyclists Killed 'So Far' in 2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The trouble with such statistics is that they always invite the reaction 'that's too many' without allowing for arguments about the costs (of all sorts) of 'cleaning' up the respective activity so as to reduce the figure, or asking what level of figure would allow the response 'Oh, that's OK then'.

I agree. The figures are meaningless, and very probably unhelpful in any serious debate.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
And why do we need to know how many people have died .

Randochap

Senior hunter
I've been having an interesting dialogue on VeloWeb, after posting the story of the collision I was involved in, 3 years ago. The post has garnered more traffic and comments than any other on the blog, which proves I guess the journalist's dictum that "if it bleeds, it leads."

But the most interesting thing has been the responses to my question "Are you less likely to ride" after reading my account?

I'm back on the bike, albeit within a much circumscribed capacity and with a much greater appreciation for the results of car (or, in my case, truck)/bicycle interaction.

The cause of my misfortune was driver inattention ... what's become known as "distracted driving." There's little I could have done differently, but I am far more wary in intersections. As a fellow Cycle Chatter said in a comment on my blog yesterday (after seeing my update in the Cafe) "I'll still cycle, perhaps though I’ll cycle with a bit more care then I have up to now."

For me, as I'd hoped, this is the value of reading about accidents. What might otherwise be statistics, remind us of the dangers, so we might just avoid them. When I was a mountaineer, I'd never miss an issue of Accidents in North American Mountaineering. The interest was not merely morbid; analysis was a basis for avoiding similar mistakes.

In this way, misfortune was, in some small way, redeemed.

Too bad most drivers do not adopt a similar method of critical thinking.

Davidc

Guru
Compare that number with the past. I've been cycling on Britain's roads for 51 years and, smoothing out the numbers, it's safer now than at any time earlier in those 51 years.

Of course it's still too high, any death (or serious injury) is one too many, but keep the numbers in perspective. A significant number of deaths are the responsibility of the person killed, how do you stop those?

Vulnerable road users need better protection in all ways, be they pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders, motor cyclists, or car occupants faced with a lorry. However even with the best physical, legal, etc. protection possible there will still be death and injury on the roads.

nick.b

sadly we will need 1000's of more cyclists on the roads befores cars acctually start looking for us, even when they mow you down the try and blame you for it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
As grim as the statistic is it actually suggests cycling is safer than you might think. When you factor in the health benefits of regular cycling then on average you are probably more likely to live longer despite the tragic fatalities.

PS no idea if the above is factually correct, its just my way of keeping a balanced view.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A different thread has produced an estimate of 3,000,000 cyclists. That's held to be a low estimate. If about 100 cyclists are killed per years, that's an average shortening of life of roughly a quarter of an hour per year, or 17.5 hours per lifetime.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Very sad, but we really do need to carry some form of identity with us at all times I have dogtags
Condolences to family and friends
After getting knocked off a couple of weeks ago I am going to get dog tags. I was fortunate and remained concious but it really hit home that if that hadn't been the case there was no way of getting in touch with my family. Also any relevant medical details can go on them as well.

Norm

After getting knocked off a couple of weeks ago I am going to get dog tags. I was fortunate and remained concious but it really hit home that if that hadn't been the case there was no way of getting in touch with my family. Also any relevant medical details can go on them as well.
Have a look at Road ID tags. I always wear one on the bike, it has my name, home address, wife's contact details and medical stuff. Mine is a Wrist ID Elite and I think it was about $30 from http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Top Bottom