6k electric car scrappage scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Maybe it's jealousy but the thought of spending £70k on a car, any car be it EV or not is just beyond comprehension for me, 3 years wages on a car!
Honestly not trolling, I mean it. I simply asked you to clarify 🤷‍♂️ For now, let's just agree that splurging 3 years wages on a car is madness.
I thought I was talking in the 1st person, although I have never been very good grammar, however I sort of assumed (we know how silly that can be) that using the word 'me' might be a clue.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
What I'd like is an easy way of hiring a car without a huge load of rigmarole and with weekend pick up and Sunday return. My car mostly sits idle so hiring would be perfectly economic, but the time and hassle factor pushes it into the "too hard" bracket

That would be ideal for us as well as our car gets little use .

And as for paying £70k for a car that is a big chunk of money that at some point will still cost more to keep on the road .

gzoom

Über Member
Some interesting theory's and answers but how can anything beat the total banning of all vehicles within a certain radius of town centres .

Actually I find cycling into town much easier than driving, though keeping your hike safely locked up is almost as hard as finding a car parking space :smile:.

What I have found with the move to EVs is just how much more aware its made me of the energy we are all using just to move from A to B. Yes we are all familiar with MPG, but that is hard to relate to in reality when the energy used in our houses is measured kWh. Because EV energy usage is also in kWh the comparison becomes really obvious.

Our Tesla can take 75kWh of electricity, and I can use all that up in roughly 2-3hrs of M-way driving. Yet 75kWh of electricity will keep my house going for 7-10 days!! You than realise combustion cars have 1/4-1/3 the efficiency of an EV, the amount of energy we are all literally burning up for transportation is crazy.

Regardless of anything else, I've tried to limit my car usage the last few months to what our solar PV panels can generate, and infact in my the 400 miles of commuting I did in the car was using nearly all electricity generate from our solar PV panels. I may still love cars, but half a decade of EV ownership have really made me more aware of my own personal transportation energy usage, and I would hope the more people that get EVs the more this will true for all of us.

Been more aware of our energy consumption for personal transportation cannot be a bad thing.

49952459357_65cedc47c7_c.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

That would be ideal for us as well as our car gets little use .
Are problem would be we need a car to get to the place to pick the car up
And as for paying £70k for a car that is a big chunk of money that at some point will still cost more to keep on the road .
Add another £5K to it you have the choice of 13x 3 bedroom houses around here.

gzoom

Über Member
Maybe it's jealousy but the thought of spending £70k on a car, any car be it EV or not is just beyond comprehension for me, 3 years wages on a car!

Spending 3 years wages on any car is mad, that is very ture!! Actually regardless of you're wage £70K spend on any car is mad, but all addictions have a price, and I know I have a problem:laugh:.

But you don't need to spend £70K on an EV, the new Mini electric is £25K on the road, had the government gone ahead with giving another £6K of EV grants it would have cost £19K. Given the cheapest Ford Fiesta is £16K these days, an £19K Mini EV would have flown out of the show rooms!!

Sadly thats not going to happen :sad:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Spending 3 years wages on any car is mad, that is very ture!!

But you don't need to spend £70K on an EV, the new Mini electric is £24K on the road, had the government gone ahead with giving another £6K of EV grants it would have cost £18K. Given the cheapest Ford Fiesta is £16K these days, an £18K Mini EV would have flown out of the show rooms!!

Sadly thats not going to happen :sad:
Without it getting personal you live in a different world to me, the same applies to a car costing £18K it might be 'cheap' to you but it isn't to me & is still WAY beyond what I would be comfortable paying for a car which spends most of it's life not doing anything.

gzoom

Über Member
Without it getting personal you live in a different world to me, the same applies to a car costing £18K it might be 'cheap' to you but it isn't to me & is still WAY beyond what I would be comfortable paying for a car which spends most of it's life not doing anything.

A used Nissan Leaf was down to just £4K a few years ago, but have now people realised how cheap they are to own longterm. Fuel costs of 2p/mile, no servicing costs apart from brake fluid change very few years, £0VED, and now they are APPRECIATING!! If you buy one, apart from insurance + MOT the other upkeep costs really are pennies.

The biggest problems with EVs is price, and that because they are so new, but even a new Fiesta is £16K a new EV at £18-19K is not much more of a premium given their cheap longerm costs.

I don't think EVs will ever drop down to the price point of our 2009 Mazda (£500), that's because even a written off/unroad worth Leaf has a 24kWh lithium ion battery pack that can be reused for home energy storage. I suspect if you can nab a Leaf for sub £5K now you will not loss a single penny in deprecation for at least 3-5 years, may be even longer!!

If we couldn't financially justify/afford a Tesla I would have no problems owing a used Leaf to get me from A to B. Great little car, but still big enough to carry a bike without taking the wheels off. You could literally refuel it anywhere, even a farm on top of a hill somewhere in the peak district :smile:.

16997983441_2d9bd0137a_c.jpg

20229494655_7e9a3596c1_c.jpg

Last edited:

Cavalol

Guru
Those XC90s are fabulous looking things. In a world where quite a few 4x4s are hideous looking efforts that look the sort of thing some 3rd rate football player would crave, the XC is very understated, imho. I believe the earlier ones have a tendency to defecate their autoboxes, but it's an itch that I need to scratch at some point.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This has been popping up on my social media over the last few days

https://mg.co.uk/

And the special deals on the electric model .

Drago

Legendary Member
Oohh, Polestar have announced the P2. Mrs D got jolly excited when she saw that. Pricing is very nice too compared to similar unnecessarily products.

Top Bottom