6p off diesel and petrol for next 3 months.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ooh I like that one. I'll be able to buy it with the lump sum I get on retirement in 11 years time. Oh no, that's wrong, in 14 years time but I won't get lump sum anymore and I've had a paycut of over 2% so I guess that house is out.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
^_^ I think you'll find I misread your post? And edited it as soon as I spotted my mistake?

In fairness to you, if you read my post on its own without reading the preceding posts, then yes, my post would've read like a load of rubbish! :smile:

Doesn't affect my disdain for petrol heads who argue that taxes raised from motoring should only be spent on roads though. That'd be like maintaining that duties paid on whisky should only be spent on improving facilities for whisky drinkers in distilleries!

But drinking Whisky isn't a necessity ;)

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
As I've also said before, fuel is not too expensive while people are still wasting it by flying little England flags from their car windows.

Most of the public is ignorant of this. I used to work in fluid flow, so I'm well aware that small appendages protruding into the flow contribute disproportionately to drag (e.g. wing mirrors, roof racks, little flags, mickey mouse aerial toppers). Driving with windows and sunroofs open is also very wasteful, I always use the air vents instead.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
And the economic cost to the country of the NHS is negative.

Mysterious stuff this economics, isn't it?

Not sure what you're getting at here. Motoring related incidents certainly cost the NHS a lot of money, but they clearly don't account for the entire NHS budget.

In any case, why would anyone feel justified in singling out motoring as a major cost to the NHS? People engage in all manner of work and leisure activities which from time to time result in NHS treatment, I certainly don't feel entitled to single out any particular activity for criticism.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Because it's a major cost to the NHS.

That is an insufficient justification. No doubt speleological related leisure pursuits do not result in very many NHS admissions. However, that is hardly surprising, as speleology is very much a minority interest, whereas a very large proportion of UK households own a car and drive it every day.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Most of the public is ignorant of this. I used to work in fluid flow, so I'm well aware that small appendages protruding into the flow contribute disproportionately to drag (e.g. wing mirrors, roof racks, little flags, mickey mouse aerial toppers). Driving with windows and sunroofs open is also very wasteful, I always use the air vents instead.
This just backs up my point that fuel is not yet too expensive. If it was, then the public would actually be making themselves aware of these things.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not sure what you're getting at here. Motoring related incidents certainly cost the NHS a lot of money, but they clearly don't account for the entire NHS budget.

In any case, why would anyone feel justified in singling out motoring as a major cost to the NHS? People engage in all manner of work and leisure activities which from time to time result in NHS treatment, I certainly don't feel entitled to single out any particular activity for criticism.
Forgive me for pointing it out, but if you want to know why anyone would feel justified in singling out motoring as a major cost to the NHS, I suggest you ask the person who first brought the NHS budget into the discussion. You may need to find a mirror to do so, of course.

Like I said, despite its £100bn budget, the economic cost to the country of the NHS is negative. And once you've got your head around that you'll have no difficulty in working out how the economic cost to the country of motoring is bigger than the size of the NHS budget.

Top Bottom