6p off diesel and petrol for next 3 months.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
No it isn't. It's a major cost which needs to be paid for. It would be better if fuel duty were higher - that way we could be more sure that victims weren't subsidising perpetrators.

Do you have any evidence that 'victims' are subsidising 'perpetrators'? I think it's highly unlikely that this is the case. Firstly, there is provision for recovering NHS treatment costs from the insurers of motorists. Secondly, one would have to assume that a relatively large proportion of NHS expenditure is on treatment of Road Traffic Accident victims, and I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, not least because of the first point I mentioned.

Forgive me for pointing it out, but if you want to know why anyone would feel justified in singling out motoring as a major cost to the NHS, I suggest you ask the person who first brought the NHS budget into the discussion. You may need to find a mirror to do so, of course.

Like I said, despite its £100bn budget, the economic cost to the country of the NHS is negative. And once you've got your head around that you'll have no difficulty in working out how the economic cost to the country of motoring is bigger than the size of the NHS budget.

You are playing with words. Have you considered a career as a politician?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Do you have any evidence that 'victims' are subsidising 'perpetrators'? I think it's highly unlikely that this is the case. Firstly, there is provision for recovering NHS treatment costs from the insurers of motorists. Secondly, one would have to assume that a relatively large proportion of NHS expenditure is on treatment of Road Traffic Accident victims, and I'm pretty sure that isn't the case, not least because of the first point I mentioned.

I'll take all that to mean that tyou are still thinking quite narrowly. Think bigger about victims, costs and benefits.

U

User482

If you think that RTAs are the only cost motoring presents to the nhs then you are even more blinkered than I thought.

Linford

[QUOTE 2029632, member: 9609"]Without motorised transport I doubt we would have an economy, let alone an NHS.[/quote]
Yes we would. It would likely be a similar standard to those living in the Sudan :rolleyes:

al78

Guru
[QUOTE 2029632, member: 9609"]Without motorised transport I doubt we would have an economy, let alone an NHS.[/quote]

Yes we would, it would consist of lots of localized economies.

Linford

They have cars in poor countries. Have you ever visited one?

You manage to have very forthright opinions of cars despite not owning one. If the stats are to be believed there are 3 cars for every 100 people in the Sudan - I've not been there, but have no reason to not believe this. It isn't tourist central Is it

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not true, and not relevant to the negative impact of motoring on the country.

U

User482

You manage to have very forthright opinions of cars despite not owning one. If the stats are to be believed there are 3 cars for every 100 people in the Sudan - I've not been there, but have no reason to not believe this. It isn't tourist central Is it
A response that is factually incorrect and fails to answer the question. I doubt you have the capacity to imagine my surprise.

Top Bottom