6p off diesel and petrol for next 3 months.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
..... but don't get excited, it is only in France. The French government had a meeting with the oil companies today and they agreed to reduce the cost of petrol and diesel by up to 6p a litre for the next 3 months. The government is taking 3p off fuel duty and the oil companies 3p off their prices.
Can you see Cameron and Co doing that overhere? I very much doubt it.

Rando

Veteran
Would be nice if the government adopted it here in the UK. Can't see it happening though.

Pauluk

MrJamie said:
As a non-driver the prices of petrol make me chuckle unsympathetically, sorry
Yes Mr jamie but just about everything we buy is affected by the price at the pumps so high fuel costs don't help anyone except the big energy companies and the exchequer (who waste it anyway).

Pauluk

ASC1951 said:
Not the whole story. High fuel costs encourage everyone to use it more efficiently and we all benefit from that.
Partly true I guess and to a large extent logical up to a point, but how damaging does that become to the economy and how competitive does it allow us to be in the global market. I'm not convinced that making the UK public and businesses pay more is in our best interest. In addition to that I believe a policy of just charging more for energy to make us more efficient is always going to hit those who can least afford it.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Yes Mr jamie but just about everything we buy is affected by the price at the pumps so high fuel costs don't help anyone except the big energy companies and the exchequer (who waste it anyway).
Yeah, if im honest its more laughing at how ridiculous its getting even with price freezes, it doesnt seem that long ago it was well under £1 a litre.

Not the whole story. High fuel costs encourage everyone to use it more efficiently and we all benefit from that.
Im not convinced it makes a whole lot of difference, but I would love to be proved wrong. The people i know who use a car for regular <1km journeys (when the fuel consumption is about 4 times normal) still do it as do those who drive hard. Im not sure of the figures offhand, but i think for a lot of people a rise in petrol prices is only a relatively small increase in the overall running costs of a car. There's of course exceptions with older lower depreciating cars, with cheap VED and insurance or people who do vast mileages and hauliers (sp?).

Pauluk

MrJamie said:
Im not convinced it makes a whole lot of difference, but I would love to be proved wrong.
Its not just about running the family car although there are a lot of people that drive 30 to 50 miles to work and couldn't work if it were not for their car. That's no small problem to them the way fuel has increased.

Talk to the haulage companies. I think they will tell you the real situation. Bear in mind that food is probably going to rise well above inflation in the next year not to mention public transport cost, so pouring more costs in that will squeeze everyone, one way or another, isn't in my opinion going to help us.

Berties

Fast and careful!
The drop puts diesel down to £1.10 litre at the hyper markets,I have half a tank left of froggy gasoil at present , the price difference is a gret help with the mileage,but it was only bout 5-6 years ago we hovered around the £1 mark going up always summer time
I just get more Fuel efficient cars,for longer mileage,as the prices have raised 5 years ago gas guzzled at 20 mpg to today 55 mpg,but never tops me driving were I need to go but I do commute 120 miles on the bike a week so every little helps

Priceless - you can only have a smile!

There's a global food crisis that's hitting/going to hit everybody, everywhere. And a cycling forum is ... "off on one" about reducing diesel and petrol by 6p. Where's the "insane and fearful giggle" smiley when you need it?

I'm old enough to remember when the litres went round faster than the pounds :smile:

British governments like to line their pockets. If anyone complains they're asked which hospital should close.
Get ready for Cycle Excise Duty.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Our honourable elected representatives sitting in the palace of Westminster get their travel to work paid for from the public purse, which may go some way to explaining why they don't give a :cursing: about people who have to drive everyday at their own expense just to put bread on the table.

Rant over now! :smile:

U

User482

Its not just about running the family car although there are a lot of people that drive 30 to 50 miles to work and couldn't work if it were not for their car. That's no small problem to them the way fuel has increased.

Talk to the haulage companies. I think they will tell you the real situation. Bear in mind that food is probably going to rise well above inflation in the next year not to mention public transport cost, so pouring more costs in that will squeeze everyone, one way or another, isn't in my opinion going to help us.

1. People who live a long way from work could move closer.
2. Haulage is a very small part of food prices, and can be minimised by buying more local and seasonal produce.

Top Bottom