7 days to prepare...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goose11

Hi guys,

Not sure if I’m doing this right by setting up a new thread, but couldn’t see anything else that covered the question I wanted to ask you experts…this is my first full, proper post so here it goes…

This is two fold really.

First: My first non - commute ride is this weekend. Not too huge, but 45-50miles (my commute is about 3.5/4 miles each way…). I have about 6/7 days to prepare – what should I do / eat to make sure I can do it without looking stupid and stopping and am not too sore the day after? I’m not anticipating it being too much trouble, but I want to make sure I am fully energised for it.

Second: Slightly more general – just wanted to run my diet past some people that know about nutrition in this field: Since getting on the bike I’m increasingly aware of my fitness and keen to get myself into tip top shape ASAP. I’m pretty sure I’ve established myself as a ‘protein type’ and am extremely keen to eat right for my type. Currently eating a single piece of fruit for breakfast (thinking of changing to a yoghurt though), chicken on rye bread with soft cheese for lunch (maybe a small side of coleslaw) and then as healthy as I can muster for dinner, generally by trying to avoid the bad carbs and eating chicken or fish with vegetables, maybe some cous cous or rice.

How does it sound? I’m probably about 4/5 lbs from ideal weight now which sits on the thighs and a little bit around the stomach so want to trim all of that off!

Any thoughts on either/both points really appreciated.

Thanks – looking forward to being an active member on these pages as I learn more!

ASC1951

Guru
You're in luck - 6-7 days is too late for any training to make any difference at all. As to food just eat whatever you normally do, but more of it, before you set off. You can take some with you as well if you want but there will be shops along the way.

People have all sorts of superstitious theories about what you should eat and drink for cycling, but unless you are a performance athlete trying to wring the last 0.05% of time out of an event, any balanced diet will do.

Your general diet looks a bit light on vegetables and ideally breakfast should be more than a small piece of fruit: complex carbohydrate such as muesli or wholemeal bread. I wouldn't normally stop on a 50 mile ride myself, but I wouldn't set off on half a banana either.

Stick some nibbles in your pockets, get on it and keep pedalling. You'll be fine.

peanut

Ohhhhhhhh no no no no no no ..yes :smile:

jimbo will be along in a minute with a formula for this ;)

If I had one piece of advice it would be , make sure that you wear padded shorts (no underpants or seamed shorts/trousers) and you use some vaseline or similar cream and plenty of it where it counts otherwise you will be as sore as hell . :biggrin:

oh ...Eat a proper breakfast porridge or cereal. Your body has gone 12 hours without food overnight . You expect it to charge around 50 miles on just an apple ??

enjoy your ride

ChrisKH

Guru
Complex carbohydrate meal beforehand (Porridge/Pasta/fruit).

Pump up your tyres to maximum inflation. "M" check bike.

Enjoy.

jimboalee

Firstly, with four days left, go out and hammer some hills. Warm up and then ride fast up as many as you can tonight. Tomorrow is too late.:biggrin:
Really give your legs a thrashing. Feel the burn.:laugh: Ride until you can't pedal another hill, but can ride the flat slowly.

Have a freezing cold bath and go for a walk. Do lots of stretches.

Treat yourself to a steak and eggs, with lots of greens. Find a "Two for a Tenner" and have both.

Commute as usual tomorrow and Thursday. Go for a walk in the evenings.

Keep eating those protiens and greens.

Go for a slower, longer ride on Friday but do not go near the hills.

Early to bed before the 50 miler.
Big breakfast before the ride. Lots of stretches and a short warm-up walk.

You will be amazed how much stronger you have become in 4 days.

Top Bottom