700 x 25 tyres on Bontrager wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
I've got a Trek I've had about 8 years with Bontrager wheels that have "etrto 622 14" stamped on them.
Also says "6061 T6", and "erd 590" - not sure what those two bits mean!

I've had a look at Sheldon Brown's tyre size thing.
The tyre size suggests size 13 can go to 25, whereas a 15 can go right up to 32.

I'm guessing this might mean with mine being 14, I should be fine to use a 28 tread - does that sound 'safe'?
Looking for something with just a little more tread edge to them, for bike paths as well as nice rolling for main roads.

Given my inner tubes are also the same age, I assume I would be wise to replace those at the same time as the tyres (keep the old for spares).
Any recommendations on either tyres or tubes would be appreciated - & good places to buy from too, in these mostly-online days!

Cycles uk site says
The ideal relationship between tyre and rim section is about 1.8 to 1, but any tyre from 1.4 to 2.2 times should fit – always provided that the bead diameters correspond. So you should be able to get away with 30mm.
To be honest I have never bothered much to check on that, I looked at my current rims ( 5 bikes) and they vary from 14 to 22
However you did not say what bike you have, some older road/TT frames might suffer from tyre rub especially on the back wheel. My older Kuota frame can only take a 28 if perfectly aligned, wheel slightly cocked at all and I would get tyre rub so max I run is 25mm.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Thanks - the frame clearance will not be a problem (2012 Trek FX 7.6), I'm more concerned about tyres too large for the rims - I think 28's should be okay!
Cheers

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im running 25s on 14 mm rim width and tbh thinking of going back to 23s, there is a lot of tyre bulge and to get the wheel out i have to deflate it even with the QR open .

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Curious.....my 25's are absolutely fine: just hoping a 28 might work as well. Maybe I should stick with 25's: hoping to do some longer tours (see Gentle LEJoG thread!), & felt a slightly 'chunkier' tyre might be better with a load on it.

Now wondering if I get a 700 x 28 tyre, do I go for a 700 x 20-28 inner tube, or a 700 x 28-38 one - hmmm......maybe I should just stick with 25 tyres :wacko:

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
All the tyre/rim size combination charts are pretty conservative with their ranges.

I happily use 32mm wide tyres on rims with 13mm internal width - the tyre may not have the optimum profile in this configuration, but my desire for tyre volume on my local craply-surfaced/maintained roads overrides any concerns over that, particularly as they handle just fine. Probably wouldn't go above 32mm, though.....

When buying wheels, I do specify wider rims, but where I already own 13mm rims, I use 32mm tyres just fine.

Top Bottom