700cc titanium frame with drops, discs and rack guard mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nick Brown

Nick Brown

P.H said:
Look again;)
The Van Nick Amazon frame has disk mounts, rack and guard fittings
http://vannicholas.com/Gallery/ama_2_m.jpg

The fork might not, but then it's not a great fork anyway. Use one of the shops that put them together to spec and they'll find a suitable fork. Van Nick dealers with good reputations on the forum include; Bike Plus, Paul Hewitt and Fat Birds Don't Fly.

Excellent! I must have over looked or been distracted by the fact the forks did not have disc mounts. I'll certainly consider it.

For bonus points it would be great if the frame had the disc mounts between the seat and chain stays like the cannondale badboy or trek portland, as it really does make fitting a rack easier. (though there are increasingly more disc compatible racks these days.) Other than restrictions on geometry does anyone know of any disavantages of having the disc mounts in this location?

As a seperate issue I'm only aware of cable disc brakes that are compatible with drop bars, like the BB7 etc. Anyone know of any hydraulic discs that drop bar compatible?

RedBike

Other than restrictions on geometry does anyone know of any disavantages of having the disc mounts in this location?
Not all types of brake caliper fit. Getting at the bolts can be a pain.

I've used the BB7 cable brakes with drop bar levers and I can tell you they're very good.

I've seen Cannondale cyclo-x bikes for sale (years ago) with hydraulic drop bar operated discs but i've never seen any aftermarket hydraulic road discs.

mr-marty-martin

well your going to have to build custom wheels

something like xt hubs on open pro rims, you may have to cut the length of one of the hubs tho depending on the frame spec

another option is to just get a mtb frame wit disc mounts, build 700c wheels with xt hubs etc and they will fit in a mtb frame if you use skinny tyres, and choosing 700c wheels i will suspect thats what you'll use...

dodgy

Interesting thread, I've been speccing up my dream winter training bike (yes, it's not exactly budget) and it seems this thread is already discussing it.

Titanium frame preferably.
Discs.
Mudguard friendly.

So thought I'd bump the thread to see if the OP went for the Amazon in the end?
Cheers.

Greg Roche

Hi,

The main issue for you is, as discussed, finding a decent way to work discs on a road fork. Most simply dont have the torsional rigidity to cope. We have found these from wound up composites which we've used for a couple of customers custom framesets and they are, as far as we've been able to tell, the best around, but come at a price:

http://www.woundupcomposites.com/team_x_disc.html

The second consideration is that if you're wanting an audax / winter trainer, you'll also be wanting mudguard eyelets and pannier mounts fitting on the non drive side seat stay. That creates issues with where to mount the disc fixture. It can be done, but personally i'd suggest its a bit of a botch and i'm also not totally convinced of the need for discs on a road frame in the first place...

Hope thats useful.

Greg

www.sabbathbicycles.co.uk

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
HLaB said:
scook94 just built a nice titanium frame for the hill around Stirling, a Burls and it has drops and disk brakes, you'd have to ask him about mounts however; I cant recall if it does or not.

Scook94's bike has mudguard mounts but doesn't have rack mounts though I'm sure he could've had it as an option when commissioning the frame. The biggest problem is for touring is finding a bike with front rack mounts as a colleague found out as most 'fast tourers' have a carbon fork.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Speak to Craig, the owner of Ride On cycles in Rawtenstall. He may not be able to solve your problem but he will have a few insights for you. He makes (made?) Ti MTB and road frames - I have one of his Globals.

By the way, get settled down with a cuppa before you call; he does like to talk!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've seen a few Ti touring frames with steel forks for this very purpose

TechMech

eldudino said:
Scook94's bike has mudguard mounts but doesn't have rack mounts though I'm sure he could've had it as an option when commissioning the frame. The biggest problem is for touring is finding a bike with front rack mounts as a colleague found out as most 'fast tourers' have a carbon fork.

See scook94's post here

Top Bottom