700x23c tyres - Good in the wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
GP4000S are good in the wet, but they are expensive tyres to commute on. Not what I would use for going to work...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I am running Schwalbe Durano Plus 23's and are very good in the wet.

I always go for very slick tyres so to have as much rubber on the tarmac as possible.
It's not possible to aquaplane on cycle tyres.

GP4000S are good in the wet, but they are expensive tyres to commute on. Not what I would use for going to work...

Another vote for Continental GP4000s but I ride to work on mine ... 84 km round trip when not on hols. Having gone down in a roundabout using cheaper poor quality tyres I have decided that the GP 4000S are worth the dollars. I get around 4,000 + km out of mine.

Andrew

BSRU

A Human Being
A vote for Continental GP 4 Seasons, similar to the GP4000s but with an extra puncture protection layer.

potsy

Rambler
I am running Schwalbe Durano Plus 23's and are very good in the wet.

I always go for very slick tyres so to have as much rubber on the tarmac as possible.
It's not possible to aquaplane on cycle tyres.
How long have you been using those Ian?
Thought you were an Armadillo man?

Grippiest I've tried would be the 4seasons, expensive though.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How long have you been using those Ian?
Thought you were an Armadillo man?

Grippiest I've tried would be the 4seasons, expensive though.

For about 3 weeks now.
I wore out the Speshes after 3500miles and decided to try another tyre.
The Schwalbes are definitely a quicker tyre, but will be interesting to see how long they last on the mean streets of SE London.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I use Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres 23's and they've been excellent in the wet conditions, well apart from yesterday when I destroyed the front tyre with a blow out ... switching to 25's now but the same tyre as they've impressed me.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
A vote for Continental GP 4 Seasons, similar to the GP4000s but with an extra puncture protection layer.
same again. Great in the wet

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Gators for me. Although going for 25s as it seems that recent research shows that so long as you don't sacrifice too much weight it could be faster for a heavier rider to go wider. Although I doubt I'll see any difference.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Michelin Lithions, or if you want more puncture protection (and can still find some) Michelin Krylion Carbon.

Mrs Kes was riding on Bontrager Racelight Hardcase till she fell off (it was dry and she was stood still so cant blame lack of tyre grip). They seem pretty good too.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't really have any recommendations as to what is good, but personally I would not recommend buying Gatorskins for in the wet. I run a pair of 23c folding Gatorskins on one of my bikes and IMO they feel quite slippery/greasy in the wet. Maybe my experience is a one off or just through lack of tyres used to compare (I tend to stick to a couple of types and don't shop around) though as other above seem to like them.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Gators are sketchy in the wet - Bombproof though. Lithion 2 are a good value, sort of jack-of-all-trades. Quite fast and grippy, not too heavy but not as robust as Gatorskins or something like Bonty Hardcase, which are rugged as Chuck Norris but quite heavy and a bit 'firm'. I like Bonty Racelight Dual compound, which are similar to Lithion 2 but perhaps a tad quicker. Still have to try Durano and Spesh Armadillo at some point... If you have £ to burn and not too fussed about them being hardcore commuter tyres, then go for Ultremo ZX!

stu1903

Über Member
I've just recently switched to the Continental GatorHardShell tyres and they are fantastic. Grip well in the wet and I've been out in very wet conditions and felt confident using them.

Top Bottom