700x23c tyres - Good in the wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossala

Guru
I'm riding gator hardshells (folding). They are shite in the wet. I keep getting the backend slipping out when going round a few corners on my commute.

gator skins for me, but I am going to get the Gp 4000 next as I have heard such good reviews about them, but I like the puncture proofness of Gators above anything else

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I took my Gatorskins off after a few scares in the wet (2815 miles, no punctures, still look like new).
I'm now using Vittoria Paves which I've found to be light, quick and very grippy. They seem to be wearing OK as well and I've only had two punctures in 3000 miles. I can't blame the tyres for the punctures; the first was a snake bite on the rear when I hit a deep pot-hole and the tyres were a bit soft. The second was caused by something getting through the (tiny) hole made by the pot-hole. Strangely they're a little difficult to get off but easy to put back on.
I've just ordered a replacement for the rear and I'll use the current tyre as a spare.
Downsides are the price (eye-watering) and the green tread.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For about 3 weeks now.
I wore out the Speshes after 3500miles and decided to try another tyre.
The Schwalbes are definitely a quicker tyre, but will be interesting to see how long they last on the mean streets of SE London.
If the first set I had on the Viner's anything to go by (rear now replaced, front still going strong after 4k +) you'll have no problems. For something so heavy they do roll nice, don't they?

OP
OP
Bman

Bman

Guru
Thanks for the replies lads. Very helpful.

I think I will go for the GP4000's. If they last as long as the stock tyres have and provide me extra grip in the wet, its worth a few extra quid.

<Gratuitous bike pic>
DSCF4099.jpg

Jdratcliffe

I took my Gatorskins off after a few scares in the wet (2815 miles, no punctures, still look like new).
I'm now using Vittoria Paves which I've found to be light, quick and very grippy. They seem to be wearing OK as well and I've only had two punctures in 3000 miles. I can't blame the tyres for the punctures; the first was a snake bite on the rear when I hit a deep pot-hole and the tyres were a bit soft. The second was caused by something getting through the (tiny) hole made by the pot-hole. Strangely they're a little difficult to get off but easy to put back on.
I've just ordered a replacement for the rear and I'll use the current tyre as a spare.
Downsides are the price (eye-watering) and the green tread.

you willing to sell you half use gators?

Jdratcliffe

Thanks for the replies lads. Very helpful.

I think I will go for the GP4000's. If they last as long as the stock tyres have and provide me extra grip in the wet, its worth a few extra quid.

<Gratuitous bike pic>
DSCF4099.jpg
i currently commute on my Gp4000s and love them i have done about 2000 miles on my and only just about worn the mold line down! intresting people say the sean is stronger puncture proof might have to try those when i have some more £££'s

monnet

Guru
The best wet weather tyres are race tyres.

The reason for that is pretty obvious.

Agreed.

For commuting I use Bonty Hardcases, they're reliable, durable and in 4 years of using them I've found them to be pretty much bombproof. As I'm never pushing it too much on corners on a commute I've not found them lacking in grip. (combination of panniers and it just being dangerous to be attempting PBs in heavy traffic) I wouldn't use them for training as they'd probably be a bit skittish when you start to push it. I prefer Conti GP4000s or 4 Seasons. TBH there's a payoff. As Joe says, race tyres grip best, but then they're too delicate for the rigours of commuting.

BSRU

A Human Being
Agreed.

For commuting I use Bonty Hardcases, they're reliable, durable and in 4 years of using them I've found them to be pretty much bombproof. As I'm never pushing it too much on corners on a commute I've not found them lacking in grip. (combination of panniers and it just being dangerous to be attempting PBs in heavy traffic) I wouldn't use them for training as they'd probably be a bit skittish when you start to push it. I prefer Conti GP4000s or 4 Seasons. TBH there's a payoff. As Joe says, race tyres grip best, but then they're too delicate for the rigours of commuting.
I commute all year round with GP 4 seasons on my main commuter and in the spring/summer GP 4000s on my road bike, stand up to commuting no problems.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
you willing to sell you half use gators?
No, sorry.
I'm keeping them as spares.

An update on the Paves:-
After puncturing on Ditchling on the FNRttC, I decided to replace the rear tyre. It's done 3200 miles. I've gone for another Pave.
The culprit on Ditchling was a piece of flint from, I think, the scout hut car park. I made the mistake of riding on and off there while thinking "This probably isn't a good idea".
The centre tread of the tyre (the green bit) has a couple of holes and a few minor splits. The holes seem to be from the pot-hole last year and Saturday morning's flint.

Top Bottom