70's Dawes Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
14849100038821994218113.jpg

I have a Dawes Galaxy from the 70's but would like to know which year it comes from. I got it in 1979 from a mate at work, but I didn't ask when he bought it.
The frame number is 621. It has a 531 frame and chromed forks.
It is still more or less in original condition.
Can anyone shed a little light on the year of manufacture?
The sticker on it says it was bought from Pratt and Son in Redhill Surrey

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:...............................Not a 'scooby' on when it was made though.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Only a three digit frame number under the bottom bracket? I thought Dawes were usually five digits, with the first two being the year. Even if it was the first frame of 1962, I'd expect 62001.

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Only a three digit frame number under the bottom bracket? I thought Dawes were usually five digits, with the first two being the year. Even if it was the first frame of 1962, I'd expect 62001.

The 621 is stamped on the rear dropout.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The 621 is stamped on the rear dropout.
Still shorter than any I've seen. Are the cranks original? Do they have have any codes stamped on the backs? I was reminded about that from the discussion I'm quoting this 1977 catalogue spec sheet from:
Dunno if they changed much between years but below are from the 77 catalogue.

View attachment 244403 View attachment 244404

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

14850833647761233021803.jpg 14850833168951399624069.jpg I have found k16 21on the nearside dropout. The other letter and number is under the rack and mudguard stays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Guessing 1975. Looks a dead ringer for the one I have. They changed colours between brown/bronze and green so you can narrow the year down. There will be a number on the brakes that will also give you a good idea.

Whereabouts on the calipers will the number be. I have looked but other than Weimann 610/750 And Vanqueur999 I can't see any other number.

Top Bottom