75kg punch bag - ok upstairs.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brought my son a punch bag for Xmas - to keep it stable the base had to be filled with 75kg of sand.

It's set up in the garage at the moment - potentially taking up the space of another bike.

Would this sort of weight be ok upstairs in his room - or overtime would it bend the the floorboards - house built 1967 ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Leave it where it is and keep the bike warm and safe in his room ;)

Slick

Guru
Timber floors, 6x2 and dwanged ar 600 centres?

Will be fine but better if you could spread the weight as much as possible.

Sharky

Guru
Another thought,

How old/heavy is your lad? As @keithmac says above, if he starts shuffling his feet and bouncing up & down, you're going to feel and hear it throughout the house. And when he gets a set of weights to go with it !!!!

My view - keep it in the garage.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I had a punch bag hanging off the rafters in my dad’s garage. It would make the roof bounce when I hit it and the floor was solid concrete.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had a punch bag hanging off the rafters in my dad’s garage. It would make the roof bounce when I hit it and the floor was solid concrete.
A previous owner of this house had wanted to fit a dishwasher in the kitchen so they had the bright idea of making room for it by plumbing the washing machine into the upstairs bathroom. My machine weighs about 80 kg and it almost shook the bathroom floor/kitchen ceiling to pieces when spinning anything other than light, perfectly-balanced loads. That taught me that having heavy moving/vibrating objects on an upstairs wooden floor was not a good decision.

(I gave the dishwasher away and moved the washing machine back to the kitchen in its place. Peace has been restored!)

Proto

Legendary Member
I always think of these situations in terms of 'fat grannies'. 75kg = one fat granny.

Is a visiting fat granny at risk of falling through your ceiling if she jumps around a bit?

Slick

Guru
I always think of these situations in terms of 'fat grannies'. 75kg = one fat granny.

Is a visiting fat granny at risk of falling through your ceiling if she jumps around a bit?
Is 75 kg really that heavy for anyone?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is 75 kg really that heavy for anyone?
It would be REALLY heavy for my 48 kg friend!

She is actually shorter than she looks there - she is on tiptoes! The rest of wouldn't exactly be unhappy to be 75 kg again though...

Top Bottom