77km in 1 hour and 45 minutes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok so it's not a world record...but I think this is probably one of my faster rides recently. Headed up to Great Dunmow and back. The bike (Daws galaxy)has just been 'serviced' and was very smooth. Had one near miss when some stupid B%T*H cut me up on a bend and nearly killed the occupants of the oncoming car as she had crossed the double lines on the blind bend.

Not many roadies out today....perfect cycling weather though....warm but not hot, very light breeze, no rain....most excellent.

NickM

Veteran
That's 27mph! :biggrin:

I could do that on a good day when I was a time triallist... but not on a Dawes Galaxy.

ChrisKH

Guru
Nice one BTFB. Are you doing a route across North Essex (i.e. left to right on the map and back again)? There was one in Cycle magazine (or was it Cycling weekly?) recently very similar which I wanted to try. I wished I lived further north; no good rides down here on the estuary and too many cars.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I rode up from Basildon, through herongate, Brentwood, Ongar, Great Dunmow and back...not a loop just up and down.

I often ride a loop from basildon, herongate, brentwood, Ingatestone, Billericay, and back home.

Another ride I do is up through Billericay, on through the Hanningfields and back via Crays hill

also and good ride is out to Galleywood common, left at the Eagle pub, down th ehill, up to Ingatestone, high wood, blackmore,Brentwood, herongate and back.

Or...out to Epping forest and back (not my fav though)

or up to wickford, rayleigh and out to Canewdon and back

...they are all reasonably nice rides I think...but you are right south is not the way to go...north is better. I went down to canvey Island and it was a bloody nightmare around Pitsea etc...I couldnt find a minor road anywhere..just busy roads, complicated roundabouts and idiots in white vans...yuck. Not to bad on th eisland though, it's just a nightmare to get to and from it.

Where are you based?

ChrisKH

Guru
Er, Pitsea. Well as good as; Benfleet. Hence my comments. Canvey is OK (lived there for 24 years) but the cycling is just plain boring. If I want it a bit more interesting I have to head north, but have to tackle parts of the A130 to get there and that can be murder. The alternative is to take the car to somewhere north of Rayleigh and then cycle north or east but that rather defeats the object. I'm picking up my new road bike this pm so will be heading north more often as I want to increase my mileage. My kids have been too young until now. But now they're both at school I can do early mornings out when the traffic is light.

domtyler

Über Member
That is a very good speed indeed, a shade faster than Robbie McEwans winning ride on this years Tour de France first leg, London to Canterbury. (1. Robbie McEwen (Aus), Predictor-Lotto, 203km in 4:39:01). So well done BFTB and on a Dawes Galaxy too, mighty impressive. Have you considered going pro? :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I used to work in pitsea...above the 7/11 shop on the corner...long time ago, in another galaxy.

Corringham's about as low as I got in a former life. I only go to Pitsea now for the Lidl and Aldi cycle goods. Or if the train stops there and I want an 'exciting' ride home on the Brommie.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..ok I looked again at the computer. it's a cateye velo 5 and it only tells me distance 77km, max speed 53km/h total since I got the bike in May 2907km....no average speed or time info for for the last ride.

I must have made a cock up I reckon:rolleyes:, 'cos there is no way i am faster than a tour de france guy...let alone a winning TDF guy, even though I was really going for it today and my legs are now killing me.

I thought I left at 10.30 am and returned just before 12.30 by the oven clock....the clock hasnt stopped...so the only think I can think of is that i actually left earlier than 10.30 am....oh well...it was good for a while there:biggrin:

Anyway it was definatly my fastest ride ever. I hadnt riden all week and was stuffed with porridge, jam and lucasade energy drink....and I am used to riding with a four pannier load, which i didnt have today.

...oh, and yes I am that fat around the belly, but nowhere near as fat as I was a few months ago, my thighs are like oak trees these days:biggrin:

Top Bottom