8 Speed Brifters (Correction: Bar end shifters)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Still looking on Ebay for Brifters compatible with 8 Speed Shimano MTB gears, more in hope than expectation.

I've come across these examples at the moment which seem to show promise, firstly some Ultegra SL-BS64 brifters. The blurb for these says:

Shimano Ultegra SL-BS64 Double/Triple 8-Speed Bar end Shifters
  • All bar-end road shifters produced after Nov 2008 have an I.D. spec fit range of 19-22mm

What does that even mean?

The second set are MicroShift, which I've heard of in the past. These claim to be 'Shimano compatible', but that doesn't mean they'll work for us.

Any thoughts?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Have you considered friction brifters? No need to worry about specific speeds or indexing them then.

Have you considered friction brifters? No need to worry about specific speeds or indexing them then.

I did consider that, but I think I'm too used to my nice indexing especially when in city traffic.

Also if I'm spending that much on them I'd want them to be relatively [s=]idiot proof[/s] easy to use.

The indexing is switchable to friction with the Shimano ones.

Does that mean the indexing won't work for me?

gbb

Legendary Member
Still looking on Ebay for Brifters compatible with 8 Speed Shimano MTB gears, more in hope than expectation.

I've come across these examples at the moment which seem to show promise, firstly some Ultegra SL-BS64 brifters. The blurb for these says:

What does that even mean?

The second set are MicroShift, which I've heard of in the past. These claim to be 'Shimano compatible', but that doesn't mean they'll work for us.

Any thoughts?
19 to 22mm...to me means will fit 19 to 22mm internal diameter bars. Not saying I'm right but It'd make sense to me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I did consider that, but I think I'm too used to my nice indexing especially when in city traffic.

Also if I'm spending that much on them I'd want them to be relatively idiot proof easy to use.

Does that mean the indexing won't work for me?
I don't know if the indexing will work or not, it depends on the mech, most are compatible but there are oddities, the advantage with the switching is if the indexing does go a bit squiffy on a ride you can turn it off and trim each gear to run silently until you get the chance to twiddle with barrel adjusters.

midlife

Guru
EURAUDAX-Shifter.jpg

Sort off friction / brake levers lol

rualexander

Legendary Member
Aren't all Shimano 8 speed road 'brifters' compatible with shimano mtb derailleurs?
They were before they introduced the incompatibility problem to their road/mountain ranges.
Screenshot_20181209-132753.png

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've come across these examples at the moment which seem to show promise, firstly some Ultegra SL-BS64 brifters.
Andy - accepting laying myself open to accusations of pedantry, the items you are linking to are bar-end shifters, not 'Brifters' which is the portemanteau name for the STIs (Shimano) or 'Ergos' (Campagnolo) (see @YukonBoy 's one liner above) typically fitted to drop handlebars.
Just go for the BS64s, assuming you want bar-end shifters, not 'Brifters'.

Andy - accepting laying myself open to accusations of pedantry, the items you are linking to are bar-end shifters, not 'Brifters' which is the portemanteau name for the STIs (Shimano) or 'Ergos' (Campagnolo) (see @YukonBoy 's one liner above) typically fitted to drop handlebars.
Just go for the BS64s, assuming you want bar-end shifters, not 'Brifters'.

Thanks for the explanation: I was getting a tad confused for a bit. It's good to know that BS64's will work though. Now I have to start saving up...

boydj

Legendary Member

I had these on one bike - they're a good option.

As for indexed vs friction - you soon get used to friction and the amount of movement required from the lever and trimming is almost automatic. The advantage is the ability to swap wheels and not worry if they have the same number of cogs, which is great if you're commuting and wake up to a flat tyre.

Top Bottom