8 speed chain with 9 speed Campag cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi I have searched far and wide looking for personal experience in using 8 speed chains on 9 speed cassettes, but found very few references, except the general view (e.g. Sheldon's) that "As you go to more sprockets on the cassette, you need a narrower chain".

I am using friction shift, so indexing/mechs/shifters are unlikely to be issues.

In particular the cassette is going to be Campag, which I believe is far more likely to work because Campag 9 speed has wider sprocket pitch than Shimano's (4.55mm vs 4.34mm).

I think it should work because the width of an 8 speed chain/pin is typically 7.1mm while it is typically 6.7mm for 9 speed (e.g. Sram). My observation is that if a 6.7mm wide 9 speed chain definitely works with the 4.34mm sprocket pitch for a Shimano 9 speed cassette, why wouldn't a 7.1mm wide 8 speed chain works just as well with the 4.55mm sprocket pitch for a Campag 9 speed cassette (since the "gap" for the chain to sit is twice the sprocket pitch minus sprocket thickness, and Campag 9 speed sprockets are also marginally thinner than Shimano's)?

I know one might wonder why bother? If it definitely/generally works, the flexibility it offers for swapping wheels/spares has to be a real bonus.

All personal experience/observation/suggestion appreciated!

OP
OP
RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I just have had the opportunity to try it. It worked with no noise, rubbing or any drama evident under use. The gears changed as smoothly and quietly as usual. I was using a SRAM PC48 chain on a Campag Veloce 9 speed cassette.

However, if I use my hand to push the chain against a sprocket on the cassette, the chain misses rubbing against the next sprocket by only a hair because the chain roller spacing is wider than the sprocket is thick. Hence while I would be happy to use an 8 speed chain with a 9 speed Campag cassette when necessary, I am not sure if I would recommend using it regularly.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Sometimes things like that work. They're not supposed to and it won't work right all the time but for while and when needs must it'll do.

Top Bottom