8 Speed straight to 12 Speed - why not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You don't have to follow the marketeer pied piper of course - I have stopped perfectly happily at 9 speed.

Interesting what someone says above about 8 speed being the ideal.

I do have an 8 speed bike - built up from one that was origianally 7.

But prefer the 9 speed in some ways as you can easily get a 36T big cog cassette.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You don't have to follow the marketeer pied piper of course - I have stopped perfectly happily at 9 speed.

But prefer the 9 speed in some ways as you can easily get a 36T big cog cassette.
Graham Obree reckons 8 is about the right number too ;)

My commuter bikes all tend to be 8 speed although i pushed the baot out and stopped at 10 speed for the better bikes , i do consider upgrading to 11 but it would serve no purpose and its not an expense i can justify .

Its was in his training book i just read , linky to an article about it say 8-9 about right
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/training-the-obree-way-39421
Many thanks for that cyberknight - I am not a roadie/racer or whatever but I am tempted to read that book.

I particularly liked this quote from him in that article:

"Grit your teeth and turn those pedals and give it some grunt is lost among the gadgets that lie on the front of your handlebars. If you're riding your bike and all you're focussing on is the figures in front of you, then you're not looking at the scenery and world around you. "Cycling is for enjoyment. The buzz of whizzing through the atmosphere is what cycling is all about. If you do want to measure your improvement, do it on the static bike. But when you're out riding, ride."

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I particularly liked this quote from him in that article:

"Grit your teeth and turn those pedals and give it some grunt is lost among the gadgets that lie on the front of your handlebars. If you're riding your bike and all you're focussing on is the figures in front of you, then you're not looking at the scenery and world around you. "Cycling is for enjoyment. The buzz of whizzing through the atmosphere is what cycling is all about. If you do want to measure your improvement, do it on the static bike. But when you're out riding, ride."
When I got back into cycling in 1989 I bought an old-fashioned bike computer (magnet on a spoke, sensor, wire up to computer type). I got a bit obsessed with the numbers and used to log them after every ride, noting speeds and distances to a silly 2 or 3 decimal places. (I recently found an old diary from the time and was chuckling at it...) The paper equivalent of Strava, I suppose!

After a while the cheapo computer broke. For a couple of rides, I felt really at a loss, but it eventually dawned on me that I was enjoying the rides more computer-free. I did without a computer after that until I started doing audax rides, when I needed one to see where that hard-to-spot LH turn at 137.6 km actually was. I got a bit lost on my first 200 into the Yorkshire Dales though and after that bought an early model Etrex GPS to use for navigation. I very rarely flipped to the data screen to see numbers - 99% of the time I was just following the grey breadcrumb trail on the screen. And enjoying the riding...

I have just switched to a 2 GPS setup, having been given 2 Garmin Edges (a 500 and a 200). I use the 200 for breadcrumb trail navigation, and the 500 for data. I'm not really interested in the numbers for performance reasons, more for how much higher does this hill go, how far is it to the cafe, will I get back in time for the train home? That kind of thing.

pawl

Legendary Member

Unfortunately not if you run Campag Unless you know of a source Biggest I can find that is Campag compatible is 29

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unfortunately not if you run Campag Unless you know of a source Biggest I can find that is Campag compatible is 29
I don't know about 8-speed or 9-speed, but 10-speed 12-30 Campag cassettes were available a few years ago - I bought 3 of them!

Blimey, I'm glad I did... I just did a quick search and the ones I found were going for £75+, much more than I paid at the time.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Early days but I'm very happy with the 11-40 9speed cassette Spa recommended for an older man (me) venturing into Devon.

I imagine some will gasp at the big gaps that implies, but on my 11speed bike I'm constantly skipping 2 or 3 gears at a time as the downhills change to uphills.

When I got back into cycling in 1989 I bought an old-fashioned bike computer (magnet on a spoke, sensor, wire up to computer type). I got a bit obsessed with the numbers and used to log them after every ride, noting speeds and distances to a silly 2 or 3 decimal places. (I recently found an old diary from the time and was chuckling at it...) The paper equivalent of Strava, I suppose!

After a while the cheapo computer broke. For a couple of rides, I felt really at a loss, but it eventually dawned on me that I was enjoying the rides more computer-free. I did without a computer after that until I started doing audax rides, when I needed one to see where that hard-to-spot LH turn at 137.6 km actually was. I got a bit lost on my first 200 into the Yorkshire Dales though and after that bought an early model Etrex GPS to use for navigation. I very rarely flipped to the data screen to see numbers - 99% of the time I was just following the grey breadcrumb trail on the screen. And enjoying the riding...

I have just switched to a 2 GPS setup, having been given 2 Garmin Edges (a 500 and a 200). I use the 200 for breadcrumb trail navigation, and the 500 for data. I'm not really interested in the numbers for performance reasons, more for how much higher does this hill go, how far is it to the cafe, will I get back in time for the train home? That kind of thing.
My experience is similar. Even though I mocked GPS for ages (I used maps and typed crib sheets) my enjoyment of cycling improved when I got one as my speed was no longer in front of me. I can flip to a display which will show speed amongst other things but I rarely have an interest in it - only if dashing to something. I use Etrex 20s - one of the cheapest GPSs - just fine and dandy. I have no interest in "performance" whatsover and am sure some folks are spoiling their cycling by peering at the data - at least ahead of them, in their golden years, they can look forward to maybe slowing down a bit (while still putting in the miles) - smelling the roses, cow dung or whatever.

Early days but I'm very happy with the 11-40 9speed cassette Spa recommended for an older man (me) venturing into Devon.

I imagine some will gasp at the big gaps that implies, but on my 11speed bike I'm constantly skipping 2 or 3 gears at a time as the downhills change to uphills.
You mean this?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s150p4475/SUNRACE-9spd-M990

Must admit until your post i wasn't aware that such things existed in 9 speed.

apologies for sunday morning questions:
How long have you been running it?
Durable?
Did you have to fit a new rear mech/make any changes to your set-up to run it?

All uphill

Still rolling along
You mean this?
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s150p4475/SUNRACE-9spd-M990

Must admit until your post i wasn't aware that such things existed in 9 speed.

apologies for sunday morning questions:
How long have you been running it?
Durable?
Did you have to fit a new rear mech/make any changes to your set-up to run it?
No problem.

It was suggested by John at Spa Cycles as part of the build of my shiny new Spa Aubisque. It works perfectly with the Sora Rd and an extender. Fd is 46/30 also with a Sora derailler.

Here's a picture of the bike with bars way too high and seat having just slipped downwards.

20211022_101220.jpg

Top Bottom